How mild/severe are my tubular breasts? (Photo)

I am 18 years old, and I have always thought my breasts were small, awkward, far apart, and my areola was large, my mom sae my breasts for the first time in years and did some research and found tubular breasts, I think mine look similar to the pictures, how difficult would it be to make them look normal?

Tubular breasts

Your photos show limited views but do seem to indicate that you have mild tuberous breasts. In the hands of a qualified plastic surgeon should you wish larger breasts a breast augmentation will improve your appearance. Placement of the implants above the muscle (subglandular) is often the desired position selected by plastic surgeons. Finding the best one will be the most important decision to make.

#tuberousbreasts
#breastaugmentation
#BA

Tubular Breasts

Thank you for your question, and the picture.

I agree, based on the pictures, you may have a tuberous component to your breasts.  A combination of breast implant placement, with a procedure to make your areolae more centralized and smaller, combined with release of the tissues to improve the fold position, would likely give you a breast shape that is more pleasing to you.  I recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person and discuss your options.  Best of luck!

Tuberous breast

Thank you for the question.  Based on the photos, your tuberous breasts could definitely be enhanced by breast augmentation.  Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation on you options.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

How mild/severe are my tubular breasts?

I appreciate your question.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:

• Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  • Inframammary fold misshapen
  • Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  • Insufficient breast skin
  • Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  • Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)
Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Tubular Breasts

Dear Flood,
I haven’t examined you, but yes I would say you have a Type I Tuberous Breast contour, and we see this frequently. So, no need to be disheartened. There are four Types that are seen, and you have a mild tendency in this direction. You can see from the side view that your breast comes almost straight out from your chest wall, and therefore from the front view, the lower rounded area is not filled out. I believe if you want a breast augmentation surgery this would be corrected nicely. The web reference below has some photos of examples. There are many approaches. Here are some general tips which are only my personal opinion, not gospel: Your fold is very tight in the breast crease. Put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar. If you nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane which would avoid incisions around your nipple. However, fat grafting will help give you a more normal shape if you do this at the same time as you have implants.
Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, 20-years or more might be a good gauge. Does the PS offer all three incisions? Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick recovery approach." Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.
See the excellent answer below by Dr. Mustoe, also.
All the best, “Dr. Joe”

How severe are my tubular breasts?

Your breasts have a mild shape of tubular breasts, and that could very nicely be corrected with breast augmentation.  However, your bigger issue in terms of correction is the lateral displacement of the nipples, with the breasts spread far apart.. In order to improve their position which is essential in order to make the operation successful, you would have additional scarring such as in a breast lift.  An in person examination would be necessary to fully evaluate the best approach.

Tubular breasts at age 18

Great question - do get as close as possible to "normal" (remember there is no normal breast, only you can decide how you want your breasts to look after surgery), you would need a lift with implants.  However, subglandular implants without a lift would also help a lot.

Tubular breasts

Tuberous breast deformity has many variations in shape and size.  You do appear to have some of the features of a tuberous breast based on your photos.  breast augmentation can help to reshape the breast and this is sometimes combined with a mastopexy around the areola.  I prefer form stable shaped implants because they help to shape the breast more than a round silicone gel implant.  

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

As you've already figured out tuberous breasts exist in a spectrum from mild to severe. You have constriction of lower pole but it's hard to see if you have herniation of tissue through areola (puffy areolas) in that picture. Additionally, and far more challenging to correct, you have wideset breasts and severe lateral nipple malposition. The left nipple is pointed completely sideways and is past your axillary (armpit) line! Your inplants need to be centered on your nipples up and down and side to side and with current nipple position that's not possible. The nipple malposition is the challenge not the mild to moderate constriction. I would not offer augmentation alone as it will exaggerate the lateral nipples. Best of luck. 

Tubular breasts

Your have described the shape of your breasts well and have concluded accurately the tubular nature of your breasts.  You will most likely want a combination of breast augmentation and a modified breast lift to give you more cleavage and size, and to reshape the breast and reduce the size of the areola. Request a consultation with several plastic surgeons to formulate a plan that you feel comfortable with.  You may require two surgeries to get the desired results.  Best wishes.