I had mild gynecomastia surgery August 19th 2015. It's been almost two months, still puffy. (Photo)

The doctor made an incision under the nipple, no lipo was needed and he told me I didn't need a compression vest. I'm really nervous because my nipples are still puffy and I can't tell a big difference. The doctor tells me I'm still early in the healing phase...but I'm not sure. Also should I wrap my chest, and will my scar fade thru time? All he provided was a scar gel.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after Gynecomastia

It can be normal to have puffy nipples for 6 months after surgery but it really depends on what was done. If a circumareolar incision was used, it is not uncommon to have the puffiness persists for several months. In my experience, when males describe their condition as large or puffy nipples, they require a full Gynecomastia repair. Isolated prominent nipples can be treated with reduction .The puffiness of the nipples were probably unoticeable from excess glandular tissue beneath the skin before the procedure was done. It may still be too early for the permanent results, try waiting until you hit the 6 month line to see full results.

Puffiness

You are most certainly swollen and will be swollen for several weeks to months.  It is too early to be alarmed about your result because you will continue to heal and improve.

Tim Neavin, MD

Swelling after gynecomastia

It is not unusual to have swelling for several months after gynecomastia surgery.  You may want to continue to wear compression for another month.

Chad Robbins, MD

Puffiness of nipples

Puffiness can last several months. You should be patient to see how things settle out. Good luck with your results.

2 months after gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. It is still in healing phase. Please express your concerns to your PS and follow their instruction. If it still puffy after 6 months revision can be done

Puffy nipples

Thank you for your question and I would express my concerns to your surgeon and get his opinion or get a second opinion from experts in your area after an examination 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia

2 months is a bit early to make a final assessment. It takes a full 3-4 months for all the swelling to resolve and is different in each person. Express your concerns to your surgeon and give it a bit more time. If it's still puffy at that point you can discuss a revision with your surgeon.

best

David Shifrin, MD

Puffines beneath Areola

Thank you for your picture.  The puffiness may be due excess fat and gland beneath the areola.  In my opinion removal of tissue beneath the areola usually needs to be performed in addition to liposuction to improve the the chest contour.  You will need a revision.

Healing after Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi rion420,
Thanks for the post and photo. At two months you are not going to be at your final result. That being said, a lot depends on how you're healing has progressed. There are several things that could cause puffiness of the areolas after surgery:
1) residual gland tissue
2) formation of scar tissue
3) persistent swelling or fluid collection
4) incomplete areola skin tightening after surgery.  
An in person exam is needed to differentiate these. Compression at this time won't have as much of an effect as it would right after surgery. The scars do tend to fade with time and can take upwards of 1.5 years to get to the final color.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD