What massaging techniques help regain sensation faster in skin after TT?

I'm sorry, I don't remember if I read this somewhere or if this was told to me, but I remember hearing slightly rubbing the numb patches of skin with different materials (a hair comb, a dry loofah sponge, for example) can help "retrain" the nerves to bring sensation to the area made numb following a TT surgery again more quickly. My question is, how many varying materials should be used and how many times a day should this be done and for how long?

Massage probably won't help sensation return after tummy tuck

There may be many benefits to massage but it doesn't seem likely that it will speed return of sensation to numb areas after tummy tuck. The nerves have to re-grow, not re-train. It may take several months. 

Tummy tuck - how to get sensation to return?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck recovery.

• You should ask your plastic surgeon before doing any of these treatments.
  • You are correct that occupational therapists use these techniques after nerve injury.
  • However  tummy tuck numbness is from swelling - and none of these techniques will make a difference.
  • Six weeks after a tummy tuck, most surgeons would let patients use a little hand-held massager which may reduce the swelling a little faster - ask your surgeon if this is ok.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question.  After a tummy tuck the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and increased tension.  This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different skin sensations including numbness, hypersensitivity, or a burning/electrical feeling.  These sensations normally resolve spontaneously given enough time.  Allow your results time to mature over the next several months, you should see a gradual shrinking of the amount of numbness on your stomach.  Hope this helps.

This is usually done for hypersensative skin (more sensative than normal) and not for numb skin There is no specific protocol. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS