How can you help with making my labia look normal? (Photo)

I'm 20 years old, and I have been dealing with this discomfort down there for about 5 years now. I can't sit still for 5 mins without having to constantly adjust my underwear. I can't wear thongs, g strings etc because of my labia hanging out. I'm looking into getting labiaplasty procedure done but I'm very nervous. Any suggestions ?

Candidate for a labiaplasty

First, let me reassure you that your labia appearance is normal. However there is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Candidate for Labiaplasty - Procedure Overview

#Labialplasty is probably the most common of the Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.  This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in  wearing tight clothing , such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe”  which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations.  Many women live with this problem unaware that there are treatments available to help them.  Non-surgical treatments with Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.  Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anaesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures  as well as other varieties of treatment.  The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora.  There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

See a good Surgeon

Hello GirlyGirl,
You are likely an appropriate candidate for surgery. I say likely as a picture does not by itself substitute for an in person exam. Find a good surgeon and go for an evaluation and you should be OK. 
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: Enlarged Labia Repair

Thank you for your question and sharing your photograph.  There is a variation of shapes and sizes of labia.  What you are describing can occur when the labia are large enough to result in difficulty in wearing certain items of clothing.  A labiaplasty with possible clitoris hood reduction may be indicated, but would require an examination to better assess your condition and to provide recommendations.  I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon for an evaluation even if that means traveling.   Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist --Sandusky, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty

The size of the labia can vary greatly in size just like breasts. Larger labia can certainly cause discomfort for many women.  A labiaplasty to reduce the size of the labia can certainly help. It is absolutely normal to be nervous before any surgery. Be sure to find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with and can offer you the results that you are seeking. Keep in mind that your results are only as good as your surgeon, so sometimes it is worth the travel. Best wishes.

Need a labiaplasty

You are a good candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. There are many type of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

How to fix labia too large

It is very common for a woman to feel uncomfortable in specific clothing when the labia are too large. Almost always it is the labia minora or inner lips which are too large and protrude. This makes it difficult to thongs and tight gym clothes without discomfort and embarrassment. Sexual intercourse can also be uncomfortable.  A simple labiaplasty, an in office procedure under local anesthesia without pain can improve this appearance as well as get rid of the discomfort. You will be able to wear the clothes you like. Most importantly, you will feel better about yourself and therefore project a better image to the world.

How can you help with making my labia look normal?

Thank you for your question and photograph. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing. As your labia minora appear to be at the level of your labia majora, surgery would change little in your overall appearance. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion.

Nervous about Labiaplasty

Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are feeling this way. Labiaplasty is a very common procedure. I do this treatment via local anaesthetic and the patient can go home the same day. Labia reduction surgery involves removing the excess tissue to keep the size and shape symmetrical. Scars are well hidden with the natural folds of the skin. The result is more defined and neat, The procedure  only takes roughly 60 - 90 minutes to complete and you will feel much more comfortable afterwards and hopefully more confident. Recovery is also very quick and the downtime is usually about a week. You may have some swelling and have a little bit of discomfort. Please ensure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck for the future. 

I can make you look and feel beautiful

Hello Girlygirl,Thank you for your post and photo about your large labia. You definitely need to do your research and find a surgeon you're confident has the experience and training to make you look as beautiful as you hope to look.  I perform labia reductions in the office under local anesthesia. Every woman is shaped differently and requires her own unique cosmetic correction.  What is often overlooked by most surgeons is the prepuce, or clitoral hood, which may require reduction and even lifting to achieve the optimal youthful appearance and enhanced sensation for ultimate pleasure. Your labia are complex and will require expert care. Be prepared to travel.Please see link below where you'll find advice in choosing the best surgeon for you. You'll also be able to view our Photo Gallery which has one of the largest collection of Before and After Labiaplasty photos.Best of luck, 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist