Will this loose skin I have from liposuction improve? (Photo)

I had tumescent liposuction on Jan 4th. I am considering a revision of the mid abdomen and bra area. There is loose skin under my belly button. Do you think it will shrink up more. Is it skin? Is it fat? Would more lipo even help? I had 2.5 liters removed (including the temescent fluid) Also my Physical Therapist said I do not have diastsis recti (spelling?)

Will this loose skin I have from liposuction improve?

Although there are different technologies that state all sorts of claims for tightening skin there really is none that tighten very loose skin. Tummy tucks tighten loose skin, loose muscle and remove fat. This procedure is often done in conjunction with liposuction to contour the upper abdomen, hip rolls, and pubis. In your case with loose skin around the belly button and between it and the pubis you will need to remove the skin. You may have not been the best candidate for liposuction but now you certainly shouldn't repeat it. See a Plastic Surgeon too get a better evaluation.

William Aiello, MD  Orange County CA 

This will NOT improve with time

This will probably NOT improve with time. It is a technical issue at the time of the surgery. The skin retracts to some extent, which limited by the elasticity. However, if the surgery creates irregularities, they will not go away.

Loose skin after Liposuction

Hi Kfitz,

Thanks for your question and your photos. Based on your images and your description of your issues, liposuction would certainly not help tighten your skin any further. I however, see that you still have fat that can be removed. The maximum amount that is recommended while being able to safely go home is 5 liters of fat and tumescent fluid. I would say that performing an entire full torso liposuction would help shape your body even more but would leave excess skin in your anterior abdomen. Your Diastasis Recti is likely mild but could be improved from performing an abdominalplasty since on your side profile your body seems round and not straight. Hope this helps.

All the best.
Carlos Mata M.D.

Loose Skin After Liposuction

You were not a good candidate for liposuction alone you needed skin removed at the same time (tummy tuck).  I suggest you get the proper liposuction and skin removal in your next surgery.  Please see an expert who does hi definition body contouring.  Best, dr. Emer.

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain exactly what is causing it, but loose skin 3 months out from liposuction is unlikely to contract any further. Additional lipo will deflate the skin even more and worsen the problem. Excess skin needs to be excised if you want to get rid of it and in this case that would likely mean a tummy tuck. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Loose skin after liposuction

Liposuction, in general will not tighten the skin adequately when it is that loose to begin with. Without feeling the thickness of the tissues and assessing the skin redundancy, is not possible to say whether a mini abdominoplasty or a full abdominoplasty would best benefit you. With your long waistline, in my opinion, you would be an excellent candidate for a full abdominoplasty. Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Loose skin overlying an area of liposuction

At this point, 10 weeks after the liposuction of 2.5 liters, the loose excess skin at the lower belly is not likely to shrink and tighten further.  This is one of the risks of liposuction.  The older a patient is, the more likely it is that the skin overlying the area that the fat is removed from will not shrink and tighten.  Unfortunately, additional liposuction in the same area is likely to make the condition worse, not better.  The most reasonable solution to get rid of the loose skin is to remove it (cut it out) with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery.  There are risks and downsides to a tummy tuck to consider, which your plastic surgeon can discuss with you.

I cannot determine if you have diastasis recti without examining you.  Diastasis recti is a condition in which the two straplike vertical muscles, the rectus abdominis muscles, on either side of your belly button become separated and are positioned further away from the belly button to the right and left.  This is not a harmful or dangerous condition, but a hernia-like appearing bulge can result at your mid belly when you strain or perform a sit-up type motion.  It often results from pregnancy.  It can be corrected surgically as part of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery.

Pierre Chevray, MD, PhD