If I lose 10 to 20 percent weight after tummy tuck, and I weigh 190 pounds, will it affect my results?

can the tt handle some weight loss and look ok?

The Lasting Effects of a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy and information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. Also, another element to a satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations. The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Therefore, if you experience weight gain, pregnancies, or any other drastic body altering changes, it is very possible the results may be compromised. 

Your surgery should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures you are seeking. For instance, a plastic surgeon who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery is suitable to perform your #BreastAugmentation. Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Weight loss affects each person differently.

The recommendation for all tummy tuck candidates is that they are at or near their target weight at the time of surgery. Maintenance of that target weight post-surgery is what allows for the best results. That said, weight loss affects different people in different ways and depends upon a number of variables, including overall skin quality, fat distribution, height and weight. Typically, losing 20 pounds or less shouldn’t adversely affect tummy tucks. However, losing more than 20 pounds can lead to skin laxity. The best scenario is to have achieved your ideal weight prior to your surgery, and to maintain that weight. Unfortunately, weight fluctuation is sometimes beyond our control. If you find yourself post-tummy tuck and having lost a considerable amount of weight, you may be a candidate for revision surgery. I recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Best to Lose Weight Before the Tummy Tuck

Your question is an important and common one. I advise patients at my practice to be at or near the weight at which they are comfortable prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. Removing stretched skin that no longer has the elasticity to "snap back" is part of a tummy tuck. If you lose significant weight after the procedure, you may again be left with sagging abdominal skin. It may be OK to lose around 10 to 15 pounds, but much more than that may leave some negative effects. Thanks for your question.

Weight loss after a tummy tuck

Hi Rose,
you want to lose the weight before !
the skin is like fabric, you can make it tighter if it is loser from the weight loss.
plus the good thing, you will be healthier and fitter for your surgery.
now if you lose the weight after the surgery, you may want/need a revision for a tighter mid-section...
good luck,
Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Lose your weight before tummy tuck.

If you really do plan to lose 20 to 30 pounds after your tummy tuck, the best thing to do would be to lose the weight before. This way your surgeon will have a better chance of correcting the abdominal skin excess and improve contour. Better preparation will give you a better result.

TT and weight loss

If you are seriously likely to 35 pounds or so, you would do well to lose it before surgery.  Were you to have a TT today with what seems like an excellent outcome, and you go on to lose 35 pounds, you might well find yourself with excess and overhanging skin that would have been avoided had you lost the weight before your surgery.