How long does it take for swelling to go completely away after facial liposuction?

Some doctors say 6 mths and a few says after a year? I'm 6 mths out and my face still feels strange, like when u press on it it forms a dent that takes some time to come up?

Facial Liposuction and Swelling

The swelling from liposuction can take multiple months to go down.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience and getting facial lymphatic massage and radiofrequency treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lipo and swelling

Usually with most liposuction the swelling is gone after about 6 months. For some, it  may take longer.

Facial liposuction - how long does swelling last

Thank you for asking about your facial liposuction.

• On average, all surgical swelling takes at least 6 months to subside.
  • There is individual variation - it can take as long as 18 months.
  • Since you surgery was done six months ago, now is a good time to see your surgeon for a 6 month check of your result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling after facelift

To have pitting edema six months after facelift seems unusual in my experience. If it is that, then lymphatic massage done by physical therapists as well as ultrasound treatments may be beneficial. Follow up with your plastic surgeons recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Facial swelling after liposuction

Swelling after liposuction can takes up to a year to resolve. The face is a particular area where it may take longer to go away. In your case, since you still indent after pressure, there is indeed swelling. Gentle massage by a trained physical therapist can help with lymphatic drainage and help with the swelling. I would continue with close follow-up and ask questions to your surgeon. Good luck!

Regards,

Manish C. Champaneria, MD