Can you get liposuction if there is a chance that the patient will keloid?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Yes you can still have liposuction if you keloid. But, there is a chance that the scars from the liposuction (usually very short) will also keloid. Therefore, the improvements you are expected to gain from liposuction need to be worth the risk of forming some keloid scars. These scars can often be hidden, but keloids are not only cosmetically concerning - they can be painful and very itchy even if well hidden. This is a consideration as well.

Liposuction and Keloids

Having a history of keloids will not have anything to do with your results from Liposuction. Liposuction is performed however through small incisions that will be left open to drain without the need for any stitches. These incisions generally close on their own within a few days. If you do tend to keloid easily, your incisions can be watched closely in hopes of preventing keloids from forming.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction if person has keloids

Thank you for your question about liposuction.
This is a very interesting question -

Most people with 'keloids' actually have thick scars - these are not a problem for liposuction.
If the person formed true keloids, I would need to do a thorough discussion and examination of the keloids -
Severity of keloids varies and some people with disfiguring keloids shouldn't have elective surgery.
This however is very rare -
I suggest you have a plastic surgeon examine your scars to see what your situation is.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Since liposuction uses small access incisions placed in inconspicuous locations, I think you can still have the procedure. No surgeon can guaranty that someone will not keloid. However, with very early aggressive scar management, the risk can be minimized. Good luck!

Thank you for your excellent question.  Assuming your doctor discusses the risks and you are willing to accept them you can have liposuction performed and early scar care treatment to minimize the chances of keloid development. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to best understand your options.  Best wishes.

Liposuction and Potential Keloid

Yes, liposuction can be performed on a patient that has a history or risk of keloids. Scarring from liposuction is minimal, and typically unnoticeable. I suggest consulting with an expert and discussing your concerns prior to treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction and Keloid Scars

Every surgery has potential risks and in deciding if to have ANY surgery one must consider the risks and the benefits of surgery. Ugly scars can accompany surgery, especially when incisions are not stitched abf left to heal by themselves. 
That being said I have performed many liposuction cases in my career and do not recall seeing any heal with keloid scars. It does not mean that it's not possible just that it is quite uncommon. 
Discuss it with your plastic surgeon. 

Dr. Peter Aldea
Memphis, TN

Keloid scars and liposuction

If you or your family members have keloid scars in the past or you are african american you may be at higher risk for keloid scars after surgery. However, liposuction scars in general are very small which your plastic surgeon could give you examples of in consultation. But in short, you can still get liposuction if you are comfortable with the risks of keloid scars. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and keloid formation

It is important that you understand the risk, which you must honestly and thoroughly discuss with your PS.  While you could still get liposuction despite your susceptibility to aggressive scarring (assuming you are healthy and only have isolated fat bulges), it is best to be proactive when it comes to scars.

A good surgeon should monitor the scars during the initial healing phase to determine if aggressive scar treatments will be warranted.

I hope that helps and good luck.