Lipo vs tummy tuck? What results would I have with just lipo? (Photos)

Hi, I want a flat stomach like I had before 2 children. I haven't gotten back in shape. I need to lose probably 15-20 pounds and just really tone up. I have been thinking about a tummy tuck but the recovery seems to be too much as a working mom with small children. Can lipo produce good results. I guess I am ok with loose skin as long as my stomach is flat for now. Would there be a lot of loose skin that it would be noticeable with a tight dress? I think I have abdominal separation.

Lipo vs tummy tuck? What results would I have with just lipo?

Based on the pictures only, there seems to be a bulge in the center which is likely due to loose muscle. Liposuction will not fix this and therefore you may be disappointed. A Rapid Recovery No Drain Tummy Tuck will give a better result. See link below for examples. 

Lipo vs. tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and photos. Based on theses pictures, I would argue that a tummy tuck would be more effective in achieving your desired results. Liposuction can remove fat but it is largely a contouring procedure designed to target "problem areas." It can't fix loose, hanging skin, which often persists after weight loss or childbirth. In many cases, combining tummy tuck with lipo will enhance the results and give you that amazing flat stomach you've always dreamed of. 

As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michal Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question and for posting appropriate pictures. Unfortunately, liposuction will not address any loose skin and certainly won't address muscle separation. No amount of diet or exercise will address these either. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction for optimal contour. A lateral tension abdominoplasty will reattach the muscles, remove the loose skin and give you the flat tummy you desire. You will need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with liposuction (not liposuction alone)

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dr Kayser

Thanks for your question. If you were to choose a single procedure, it would absolutely be a tummy tuck. You have excess skin with stretch marks that can only be removed with excision period to perform lipo, would leave you with thinner excess skin that would likely be unsatisfactory to you. I would certainly recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs Tummy tuck?

Hello, thank you for sending your photos and inquiry. I suggest having tummy tuck done as well with liposuction combined to have the results you are looking for. Since you already had a pregnancy your skin has stretched already and in order to achieve a flat stomach with tummy tuck you can only get those results, if you only have liposuction done the skin with be flaccid. I suggest seeking a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss details. Best of luck! 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

What results would I have with just lipo?

Based on your photo alone it seems that your issue is primarily diastasis and loss of muscular tome in the abdomen with skin laxity after your pregnancy. If we are correct then liposuction has very little to offer. Tummy tuck or disastsis repair will get your shape back.

Lipo vs. Tummy tuck?

You have a lot of loose skin from stretch marks. Assuming that you can suck your tummy in and make it flatter suggesting that you have muscle tone, liposuction would flatten your tummy out quite a bit though leave you with loose skin particularly down around your underwear a line. Ideally you are a great candidate for staged aggressive liposuction followed by abdominoplasty. You could hide loose skin in a tight dress without a tummy tuck. However a tummy tuck does address abdominal muscles separation.

Mommy Makeover with Tummy Tuck and VASER Hi Def Liposuction

You can get liposuction alone, but you won't get the skin retraction and tightening you want for a flat stomach. You do look like a candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction, which will give you great results. VASER Hi -Def  with ThermiRF and/or ultrasound and fat grafting will address the loose skin and give you the flattest, most contoured result. I recommend a consultation with a hi-def physique expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lipo vs tummy tuck?

The majority of your problem appears to be from muscle laxity or diastasis recti and loose skin, not excess fat. Liposuction alone will do nothing for the diastasis or loose skin and I am not sure that it will make you much flatter. If you are not ready for a tummy tuck at this time, I would recommend further weight loss and consider a tummy tuck at a later time. Liposuction alone will only lighten your pocketbook, not your tummy.