Do I need a lift or upsize of left implant? (photos)

I had asymmetry and borderline ptosis to begin with. Initially planned for differing implant sizes, however went with equally sized implants on the day as the asymm didn't seem an issue. Granted these are still high riding. Was wondering if peri-areolar lift would assist with added benefit of ameliorating my large nipple issue, or whether requiring upsize implant or magic wand of time?

Left breast is volumetrically smaller

Thank you for your question. Based on this picture it does seem like your left breast is volumetrically smaller than the right breast. This appears particularly true in the upper quadrant of the chest. As such, it may be reasonable to consider an anatomic implant that would provide upper pole fullness in this area. Your ptosis is minimal, and I think that this will improve with the implant placement once the implants have settled into their new anatomic position. Although a peri-areolar lift may improve your areolar size, I do not think that it will improve your overall shape and may even lead to unfavorable peri-areolar scarring.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Revision

You will require a capsulectomy and implant size change to recreate symmetry. Seek a revision specialist in your area 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Size

you do not need an uplift now. you would get some better symmetry with an increase in the left breast size. time is always helpful to assess the result more accurately. a stage 2 procedure could be done at 6 months to help improve the end result and symmetry. you already have a very nice start.

James E. Leake, MD
Marietta Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Candidate :)

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, congrats you are a breast augmentation candidate. No lift is required.

Good luck.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Michael J. Brown, MD
Ashburn Plastic Surgeon

Lift and implants

Implants do not provide significant lift.  A circumareola reduction would help your areola size. Good luck.

Do I need a lift?

It would help to see pre-op photos of your breasts, but on the post-op photos you sent, it seems as though the implants are too high on both sides.  It's hard to tell if you need a lift from these pictures, but I doubt it.  If the surgery is recent, I would certainly counsel you to wait for further healing.  I would also suggest you see your surgeon with your concerns and questions.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photo. Things are still too early to really make any decisions regarding additional surgery in your case. I'd wait until at least 6 months have gone by. There are enough changes until that time that you may find you are quite happy w/ things. I do see the size difference you mention. I'm not a big fan of the periareolar lift procedures because the scars tend to make the breast less projecting. Best wishes to you.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

I think you should address the volume difference instead of the shape difference

It looks like you should have a larger implant on your left (hind-sight is often 20/20).  Doing a lift on the right will make you inherently asymmetric because now you have scars on one side and not the other.  Also, a periareolar lift reduces the projection of the breast, so your shape would be different. Please do NOTHING until you are at least 6 months out from surgery -- preferably 12 months.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Just to keep things simple, there are basically two types of asmmetry. One has to do with volume [cup size] and the other has to do with position. With regard to cup size, if one breast was larger before your surgery, it would necessarily remain larger after surgery if you used the same size implant. A change in nipple/areolar position would NOT occur. I repeat, a change in nipple/areolae position would NOT occur even if you used different size implants since an implant does NOT change the position of the breast. If you have a difference in nipple/areolar position, then that will not change unless surgically altered by elevating the lower nipple. In your case, since you have a larger right breast, a change in implant size, whether it is reducing the larger right breast implant or increasing the smaller left breast implant volume will be necessary to achieve breast volume or cup size symmetry. This however, will still leave you with the concerns you have regarding your asymmetrical areola. Only a surgical reduction and/or elevation of the areola will change this. I know this sounds confusing but I hope it helps. Have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

Without seeing your preoperative photographs, in the photograph that you included you still have some degree of asymmetry. It may be, that the right areola is larger because the implant is larger on that side. In my opinion, you have two choices. One would be to upsize the left implant to match the size of the right. The other would be to downsize the right to match the left. If there is some areolarl discrepancy once the volumes are normalized, then consideration could be given to a circum- areolar type of mastopexy.  I recommend that you discuss these options and any planned revisions with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS