Do I need a lift or just implants? (Photo)

Went to 5 star plastic surgeon in Chicago about getting a lift and implants. I'm 32 yrs. old w/ 2 children. I thought for sure I would need a lift, but this dr. said I don't need a lift at all. Recommended 400cc silicone gel implants with 350cc on my left because it's 50cc larger than my right. Also, he is doing some kind of small lift through the nipple on the left breast. My question is - do I need a lift or not?? I'm getting this done for volume AND so they're a bit higher up.

Breast Lift or Implants or Both

Based on your pictures, it appears that you would benefit the most from a lift and implants.  However, you would need an in-person consultation to know for sure.  One nice feature which we offer is VECTRA 3D imaging during your consultation to help you visualize different options including lift only, implants only or lift plus implants.  From looking at you pictures, I would caution that if you only have implants that you may be the appearance of either low setting implants or, if the implants are placed in the proper position, then it may appear as breast tissue falling of your implants.  That is why I feel it would be best for both implants and a lift in your case.

Good Luck

Breast augmentation: do I also need a lift?

I would agree with your surgeon that you could have the procedure without a lift: your nipples point straight ahead and are well centered.  However, you do have breast tissue falling below the fold, and loss of projection.   A breast lift would make the breasts appear higher on the chest wall, with a improved less flattened shape, but at the tradeoff of scars.

Breast augmentation and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Do I need a lift or just implants?

Breast lift is considered necessary when the nipple is below the level of the breast fold (center of the nipple) and you might do well with just an implant alone. When considering breast lift, you should also consider the trade off of the scar on the breast, as glandular breast ptosis will require a vertical breast scar.

Lift or just implants

Given your goal of larger and higher you would do this best with a lift and implants. That being said, I would suggest just putting implants in and give it 6 months to see if you are happy with the results or if a lift would be appropriate. The lift will make things higher but this is not a permanent condition and you will get some recurrence. The lift also increases the scarring. The only thing you lose with staging is time and probably some additional money but you may save yourself scarring and a needless operation.
You should consult with an experienced Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has some type of implant sizing system and even the Vectra 3D imaging system.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. You are starting from a very good place pre-operatively and should have a great result.   You are on the borderline between needing a lift or getting by with implants alone.  To fully answer your question, you really need an in-person evaluation.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast implants and breast lift

Thank you for your question and you photos. Depending on the shape of the breast that you're looking can get away with an implant alone or an implant with a lift. 
if you choose implants larger than 400 cc and your surgeon performs a dual plane dissection, you should be OK with implants alone. However you may require a lift in the future as your body continues to change. You can certainly make an argument to perform a small lift with your augmentation at present time.  It's best to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon or get a second opinion. Best of luck! 

Dr. Dhaval M.Patel
Hoffman Estates, South Barrington, Oak Brook, Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift or just implants?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos a dual plane breast augmentation may be all that you need.  It sounds as though your plastic surgeon this cover the options and is planning the appropriate procedures for you.  For more information on lift with implants please read the link below:

Breast implants al

I believe that you could get a good result with implants alone. Oftentimes, an augmentation can give the illusion of a lift. After a minimum of 9 months, when the implants have settled, you'll have a better idea whether or not you think your breasts are perky enough. You can always get a lift later if you feel that you need one. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift or just implants?

If you measure in cm from the junction of your collar bones down to your nipple and it exceeds 22-23cm- you prob would benefit from a lift/ or mastopexy. This, if needed would allow the implants if desired- to be placed under the muscle. As you appear now- only over the muscle would be most practical. Again, that's my opinion - not having the benefit of physical exam and performing my own measurements.