Can I have a LBL, arm lift and breast lift (maybe augmentation) at the same time? (photos)

I had WLS and lost about 75lbs, still have 55lbs to go, but already have lots of loose skin and poor skin laxity. I am in very good health (aside from being overweight), recover quickly, I am only 25yrs old. Looking to have surgery in 8-12 months. Definitely willing to travel out of Chicago for the right surgeon.

Multiple surgeries

Thank you for your question. Multiple dermolipectomy surgeries can be performed at once. However, I would advise a patient to limit the surgery to 5-6 hours as it is difficult to recover from all the surgery at once. Take your time in choosing your surgery plan. In my experience, the results are better if you have surgery in stages.All the best, Dr. T Narsete, Denver, Co

Lower body lift, arm lift, breast lift and augmentation - all at one time

Thank you for asking about your lower body lift.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss - keep up the good work.
  • This is a lot of surgery to have at one time -
  • You are better doing the lower body lift and time permitting, the breast lift -
  • With the arm lift and possible implant at a later time.
  • There are many excellent plastic surgeons in Chicago - I urge you to have your surgery near your home.
  • Good care after surgery is critically important and is not possible if you travel far.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Can I have a LBL, arm lift and breast lift (maybe augmentation) at the same time?

It may be possible to do but will depend on how things look when you achieve your final weight. But a full in-person evaluation and discussion would be needed to make sure it is safe to do all at once. See link below for examples.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Combined LBL, Arm lift, Breast lift

Congrats on your success so far. I would agree with waiting until you have lost your weight and then maybe 3 months after consider surgery. To accomplish the 3 procedures at the same session you want to keep the procedure under about 6 hours. For this reason, I perform it as a team approach with another plastic surgeon assisting, each with his own nurse. This way, you may accomplish your goal. The surgeons must be familiar with the procedures and work well together. I do not feel a single surgeon can accomplish all of that in less than the 6 hours. Do your research for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that performs this regularly. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

It is pretty standard that for safety reasons cosmetic surgery procedures need to be limited to no more than 6 hours. How much the surgeon can do in that time varies with the doctor.  Most surgeons would probably be comfortable doing arms and breasts at one sitting and the LBL at a different time for your safety. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post massive weight loss body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. Firstly I agree with you postponing and surgery until you have reached your goal weight.  I specialize in post massive weight loss body contouring frequently taking care of out of town patients.  I am also therefore comfortable performing multiple procedures together.  I believe that if you get down to an appropriate weight that a lower body lift, arm lift and breast lift can be all performed together.Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Combination Surgeries?

Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the good work.  Ultimately, until you are at your goal weight, it is hard to say what you may or may not be a candidate for in one setting.  The anesthesia risks go up sharply after five hours, so it is a balancing act between procedures vs length of time.  Frequently the breasts and abdomen are done at the same time, while the arms may be a separate setting.  The best thing to do is to continue with your weight loss and as you get closer to your goal, go for a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.  I hope this helps.

LBL and other procedures

Hi ajonas1,

I can understand that you would like to have as much surgery as possible together to limit costs and recovery time. However, safety should be your first concern. I just did a LBL on a patient today, who had lost 105 lbs and it took me 5 hrs. This also included liposuction of the lower back, flanks and the mons pubis. Judging from your photos you will also need a breast lift and a small reduction and definitely not an implant. This will take 3 to 3 1/2 hours in experienced hands. You can see that if you did both procedures together (and you could find a surgeon crazy enough to do that) your operative time would be 8-9 hours. There are many risks that can occur with this type of surgery, including deep venous thrombosis (which is a clot that  can develop in the veins in the groin or pelvis and can break off to injure your lungs. Therefore, I would not recommend that you do these procedures together. There are many fine board certified plastic surgeons in the Chicagoland area, so I don't think you will have to travel. Good luck!

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon