Do I have lateral displacement?

Hello, I am 1 week post op and whenever I lay down or stand up, I feel this extreme discomfort at the bottom of my left breast. It's actually a sharp pain. At first I thought it may have been muscle spasms, but I noticed when I touch the bottom crease of my breast, I can feel the implant "shifting" it seems to help if I press down on the crease before standing up. I did research online and came across lateral displacement. Could this be my situation? I have saline, under the muscle, 520cc

Lateral displacement

At only one week out, shooting pains, burning pains, shifting sensations, and all other sorts of strange sensations are typical.  Ultimately, you need to get seen by your plastic surgeon for an exam if you have concerns about your result.  Only a physical exam can truly assess things in this circumstance.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lateral displacement?

Thank you for your question.  At one week out, it is too early to determine.  You will need more time for things to heal and settle.  Pain is quite common at this juncture.  Best advice is to continue to follow up with your surgeon who can guide you through the recovery process.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

1 week after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise and at one week after surgery--you should direct this question to your plastic surgeon--he/she should be able to answer this question.  

Lateral displacement

Thank you for your question. It is not likely lateral displacement that too within a week. You are only a week after surgery and I recommend you express your concerns to your PS

One week post

It does not sound like lateral displacement if you feel it from below. Most implants can be palpated along the breast fold. If you are concerned. speak to your surgeon.

Do I have lateral displacement?

Lateral displacement happens long after augmentation when the pocket becomes loose and allows the implant to move to the side when you lay flat. This is not something we think about early after augmentation and you are only in the first stages of healing. Let your surgeon have a look for specific suggestions, as chances are you are just fine.

Lateral displacement of imlants

Thank you for your question. It is very normal for the implants to feel strange and uncomfortable when they move this early in your recovery. This feeling should get better, and without an exam, it is difficult to determine if you have lateral displacement or not. Follow up at your regularly scheduled post-op visits with your surgeon and discuss your concerns at that point. I know it is difficult, but be patient. 

Breasts can look and feel most unusual one week after breast augmentation.

There is not enough information to determine if there is a problem with your particular situation. However, at one week breasts can look and feel most unusual after augmentation.

You are still very early in your healing phase and may still be having some pain. Please discuss all your concerns with your doctor.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Do I have lateral displacement?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Although I can understand your concerns, I think that it is too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. It is certainly normal to have discomfort and or "implant shifting" sensations during the early postoperative period.

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.