Had a labiaplasty 6 days ago. Is this normal? (Photo)

it's the end of the 6th day after my procedure and I noticed that a few of the stitches are loose. Is this normal or did I do something to make this happen??

Visible Stitches?

Although this is not really "normal," meaning, your surgeon surely intended for the stitches to remain under the skin, where he/she placed them, it is also not concerning and should resolve on its own, given time.  The stitches are the type that will "dissolve" over time - I used the quotes there, because they really don't just magically dissolve, but they are attacked by your immune system's white blood cells (WBC).  The WBCs break down the stitches over time, but this also causes a low-grade inflammatory response, which can cause symptoms such as itching, pain, and hypersensitivity until the stitches are completely gone.  Another way the body reacts to foreign material is to attempt to expel it - like a pimple.  I tell my patients that if any sutures start to peek out of the skin, especially if they are causing any of the above symptoms, they can cut the stitches as close to the skin as possible.  The part of the stitch that's still under the skin will be broken down by the body.  The stitch is not able to do its job of holding things together if there are loose loops sticking out.  If I were to notice this at a post-operative appointment, I would just do that in the office.  Otherwise, your incisions look good from the photo you provided.  Give it time and ask your surgeon about it at your follow up appointment.

Keep your hands off your incision line or you WILL make something bad happen..!

Not unusual for stitches to look like that. Yes, touching it and tugging it like you do can cause stitches to break and the whole thing to open. Right now, it looks OK, but KEEP YOUR D#&*N hands off of it, girl or it'll open up on you...
:) Best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Loose stitches

I would say that this is most likely normal.  Prior to making the incisions your surgeon most likely injected a local anesthetic which expands the tissue much like swelling.  Then when the sutures are placed the tissues are swollen.  6 days after surgery a lot of the swelling would have resolved leaving the sutures loose because the swelling has resolved.  If the incisions are healing well without separation then I wouldn't worry about the loose sutures.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal?

You are very early in your healing.  Based on your picture there is nothing particularly concerning.  You have some small areas along your incision where the tissue has slightly separated.  This is no big deal.  Be patient.  Follow your surgeon's instructions.  Best wishes!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Had a labiaplasty 6 days ago. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question. Some sutures getting loose and it is not unusual for absorbable sutures sometimes. You are healing appropriately for the time. Good luck

Labiaplasty Surgery?

It is normal for the dissolving sutures to fall out starting around the 5-6 day mark.  Based on your picture, it appears that you are healing fine and I see no issues overall.  I would check I with your surgeon, but nothing I would be concerned about.  I hope this helps.

6 days post op

Some of the sutures may dissolve at this time, and it is pretty normal.  The appearance of the incision and the wound looks normal at this stage.  Best, Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your surgery. It appears that you are healing well after your trim labiaplasty and that some of your stitches have begun to dissolve.  This is normal and does occur with great frequency. Hope this helps.

Sutures post labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  It appears a few sutures are loose or are already breaking down.  Good news is your incisions seems like it is healing well.  Nothing for you to do or worry about except try to keep your hands off of the area and allow your body to heal on its own.  Best of luck in your recovery.
John R Miklos MD

Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai