I'm not sure if I have a keloid or a hypertrophic scar on my cartilage piercing? (Photo)

So 3 months ago I got my cartilage pierced at Claire's with a piercing gun. I changed my earrings a couple days ago. As it was a hoop I noticed a small white bump. It hasn't grown but I am concerned. I had no knowledge it was there when I got it pierced. Any help would be appreciated I'm kind of freaking out.

Doctor Answers 2

Keloids/Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, microneedling/PRP, surgical removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This can be removed surgically or improved with lasers , injections.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Nodules, keloids, scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Kylie,This is an important question and a common one. Claire's is a dependable place for piercing, as they've been doing it for years. Still, it is always possible, no matter who or where you have your ear pierced, to develop excessive scarring. In the picture you've sent I cannot see obvious signs of a keloid. Cartilage will have a normal healing response to thicken at the site of the piercing. If that becomes excessive, it can "tent" or blanch the skin providing a palpable nodule. A keloid is a skin phenomenon and is defined by scar that bellows out beyond the borders of the scar. You do not appear to have this. In either case, keep a close eye on this. If you have any redness or fever, see a doctor as there may be an infection. If unsightful scarring occurs, it should be treated by your local plastic surgeon. But again, so far it looks reasonable!
I hope this helps!

Jonathan Zelken, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.