Will kegel exercise benefit me if I've only had one baby?

I been looking through this website and most people that are recommended vaginal rejuvenation are those with 2 to + kids. I had one stitch only and my baby was 7 pounds. I don't want to feel lose at my age , (21). But I just want to know if it's possible with just kegel exercise to be as tight as I use to be.

Kegel exercises

Dear LynnLuLu

Kegel exercises are always a great idea and there is no way of knowing if they will work for you unless you try them.   Especially at your age it certainly seems like the viable thing to do. They do not tighten the skin of the vagina nor are they a permanent fix for any area of the vagina which is broken resulting in prolapse i.e. relaxation.   Though I have not examined you I would recommend kegel and if they do not work then consider Radiofrequency (thermiVa) or other laser for the vagina.  These procedures are done in the office and depending upon the mode of energy can be pain free ( like ThermiVa).  Going straight to surgery aka vaginal rejuvenation surgery  is probably the most effective with the longest effective results but most patients would prefer to do things non invasively instead of getting surgery. Good luck with your care

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Kegel exercises for vaginal rejuvenation?

Vaginal laxity can occur after only one child.  Often times the stretching occurs at the first delivery and then things are already stretched out for when other children are born.  You should try kegel exercises but if its not enough another noninvasive option that will improve looseness is thermiVA.  My patients (and their partners!) have been happy with the improvement in vaginal looseness thermiVA provides.  Other things thermiVA can help with is improving sensation, improving lubrication, helping stress urinary incontinence (pee a little when you jump or sneeze), and improving the appearance.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Kegels?

Yes! And they certainly can't hurt. After first baby, kegels should certainly be done and continued thereafter. Maintaining strong pelvic floor muscles is important for all women after childbirth. If you suffer from urinary leakage after childbirth or prolapse for more than 6 months to one year and kegels have not helped resolve this, then most likely you will need surgical intervention. An excellent option for younger women still wanting more children that have vaginal laxity and/or mild urinary leakage issues is ThermiVa, which is non-surgical radio frequency treatment that is done in the office with no pain or downtime. 

Best bet is to see a Urogynecologist that is experienced in these techniques for a consult. 

Best of luck to you, 

Dr Robert D Moore

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Thank you for sharing your question.  Kegel exercises can be used to improve muscle tone but with some patients significant stretching and laxity of the tissues may have developed that more surgical treatments would be needed.  First have an examination performed by an ob/gyn, they can provide you with reassurance, treatment options, or referrals to specialists that can help.  best wishes

Kegel Exercies for Vaginal Laxity and Tightening: A first step

Vaginal laxity following pregnancy is a very common complaint associated with mild stress urinary incontinence. Kegel exercises are a great first step in improving muscle tone and control. Only after a reasonable effort is exerted and fails to achieve your goals, should other interventions be contemplated. A pelvic therapist may also provide some guidance and can be recommended by your gynecologist. Non-surgical and surgical options may be suggested if the Kegels fail to achieve your goals.

Kegel exercises benefit.

Kegel's are always highly recommended and should be performed by everyone post delivery. If you are contemplating having another child and do not feel that your vagina needs much tightening,  then I would absolutely start with Kegel exercises and take it from there.

Will kegel exercises work if I have only had one baby?

Vaginal laxity can come from one delivery, two or more or no deliveries.  Some women who have had four kids have no laxity.  Its the individuals experience and is related to the size of her sexual partner too.  I don't think most 21 year old women will need vaginal rejuvenation or vaginoplasty after having a baby.  Some do but that is the exception rather than the norm.  Kegel exercises are never bad for you.  There are office procedures such as the thermiva that I would try first if laxity is bothering you.  .  Good luck with your baby!

Dear Concerned patient, I admire you for thinking ahead and being proactive.

Doing Kegal exercise is the first thing you should do to tighten your pelvic muscles.

Unfortunately not everyone knows how to do correct Kegals, please ask your Gyn doctor to check you and make sure you are doing it correctly.

At same time, kegal exercise dose not address the expansion in vaginal tissue.

let me explain the theory of  balloon. Once you blow air in the balloon and keep it for few days when you let the air out, the balloon dose not go back to its original state. Vagina is the same. To help for vagina to go back to almost its original state a combination of Kegal exercise and a Fractionated Co2 laser is needed.

Good luck and best of health

One baby is sufficient to destroy a tight vagina permanently and kegels will not tighten you up

Your vagina loosens after childbirth due to extreme stretching and damage to the pelvic and vaginal supports.Kegel exercises will not repair damaged pelvic supports. They will simply make the muscle tissue thicker, but they can't make the muscles come together the center like they did before childbirth. Most women who undergo vaginoplasty don't want the results to break, so they wait until they're done having kids to undergo surgery.