Jackson Pratt after Hematoma prevent post-op swelling?

After my breast augmentation, I had two MINOR hematomas in my right breast. After my first hematoma, I had it surgically evacuated, and no drains were placed. The breast was very swollen after this second surgery in the affected breast, and then the swelling went down. Completely normal, I know. After my second hematoma, my surgeon surgically evacuated it and placed a Jackson Pratt drain. This time, the breast is not swollen. Is this normal? Does the drain evacuate swelling?

Drain

The drain will be removing serous fluid which can accumulate as a result of inflammation/trauma. The colour will be pink/purple due to trace amounts of blood. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns and instructions for healing.

All the best

Breast augmentation - did drain prevent swelling?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

I am sorry you had hematomas after your breast augmentation -
But glad they were properly treated.
Drains can reduce swelling to some extent - but it is possible less surgery was needed at the 3rd procedure.
Glad you are healing well now.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hematoma after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Your breast may have been larger due to more fluid from the second seroma verses the first.  The drain doesn't cause swelling.

Chad Robbins, MD

Depends

Depends on whether the drain was draining fluid but drains do not stop swelling.  Swelling after surgery is a normal process.  After repeated surgery, swelling may go away sooner.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS