Interested in getting rhinoplasty in Chicago. Is it possible without breaking the bone? (Photo)

I'm interested in getting rhinoplasty in Chicago but I'm TERRIFIED of it going wrong. I don't want it to look worse. My nose is currently crooked, long and very bulbous. I was hoping to get the tip fixed and the Nose straightened. Is it possible without break the bone? If I'm getting only there done is the healing process faster?

Not unreasonable to be nervous; use that emotion to do good research in selecting a doctor. See the morphs I made of your nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Click on the "Learn more" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_Mirrormirror5050.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that should be possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

From the frontal view, I mostly I narrowed the tip of your nose, but also simulated elevating the tip a bit. I got rid of that little dark line down the middle of the tip, which is just the space between your strong left and right tip cartilages. 

On the profile view, I elevated the tip, lowered the bump, narrowed the tip, and then brought the entire nose back a little closer to your face.

When the tip cartilages are strong enough to make the tip wide, like yours, they are usually strong enough to hold the nose out forward from the face more than we might like, and they tend to hold the tip down, making the nose tip look a little droopy. Perhaps you can see those changes best in the animation. The woman in the short video with this post had all three of those features, too.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Learn more" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon. You should only have surgery if you are able to make yourself very confident in your surgeon's skills. Read that page very carefully. Most plastic surgeons are quite poor at this operation, and I believe my advice will go a long way toward keeping you safe.

I'd love to hear what you think of the morphs. Did they seem to address your main concerns?

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

In your case in particular, you need to find a surgeon who understands all of the issues I mentioned, and how they fit together, and who can actually accomplish them in surgery. 

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best procedure for you

Hi mirrormirror, After looking at your fotos I think that you will need to have the bones broken in order to correct your concerns and give you the best result.  It is normal to be nervous however the vast majority of patients report minimal discomfort and are very happy with their results.  It is almost always necessary to address all parts of the nose to obtain the most natural result. Your nose is a little crooked and the tip is also twisted slightly. During your consultation the details of the procedure would be discussed and why they would be necessary.  Good luck.  I'm sure that you will sail through the procedure if you decide to proceed.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty fear

It is normal to have some anxiety about surgery but if you have extreme fear then it is best not to undergo the surgery. It is difficult to get a complete result without breaking any bones. 

Regards

Dr. Janjua

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breaking the Nasal Bones During Rhinoplasty

Nasal osteotomies (surgically breaking the nasal bones) can allow asymmetric nasal bones to repositioned. Your photos suggest that the nasal tip is deviated off to the left, and there may be some asymmetry with the angulation of the nasal bones superiorly. It will take about 6 weeks for the bones to heal. To some degree, minor amounts of swelling of the nasal tip will continue to resolve for the first year after surgery. So, in general, the nasal bony cuts will not be the rate limiting factor to your nasal healing. 

Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals. 

Best of Luck!

Dr. Ashley Robey

Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

Board Certified Otolaryngologist - Head & Neck Surgeon

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Rhinoplasty

If the dorsum is reduced and you want to narrow it a bit, then you will need osteotomies( "breaking of the bones").

Interested in getting rhinoplasty. Is it possible without breaking the bone?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with osteotomies

Hello mirrormirror5050 - the decision to cut the bones (osteotomies) is really dependent on a number of factors: desired width of your nasal bones, if a hump has been reduced, and for straightening of the bony part of your nose. This decision can be made during your consultation. It is possible to just perform a "tip-plasty" but it may or may not be your best option depending on your surgical goals. 

Jordan Rihani, MD
Southlake Facial Plastic Surgeon

Interested in getting rhinoplasty

From the photographs presented, a full and closed rhinoplasty is required including osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. With closed rhinoplasty, all of the incisions are placed on the inside of the nose. To reduce the bulbous nasal tip requires a conservative cartilage removal and suture techniques. The dorsal hump can be shaved down  which is composed  of both bone and cartilage. The tip of the nose can be shortened and lifted as well. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones can accomplish straightening them and narrowing them as well. For  many before-and-after examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below to our closed rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty

To quickly get to the point if you want your nose straightened you need to have the bones fractured to reposition them.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. The open and closed procedures are two different types of incisions that allow the surgeon greater access to the structure of the nose to make the necessary corrections. Always follow the recovery guidelines provided by your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon