Interested in breast augmentation - I'm just curious whether or not I'm a good candidate because of the concave chest.

I've always been self conscious about my breast size. I'm a little over 5 feet tall and weigh about 140 now. I have gained weight everywhere except the boob area so that leaves me at about a b cup. Theyve always seemed too small and my concave chest leaves me more insecure.I've had one consultation before but wasn't happy with the experience. Pictures upon request.

Breast Augmentation with Pushed -In Chest (Pectus Excavatum)

We can only advise you based on a physical examination or examination of your photographs.You have a complicated situation without a readily generic response.
Breast Augmentation CAN and is done on petite women with chest wall anomalies and can be done with a custom implant on the pushed in side to raise the pushed in floor on which the implant sits making the sides more symmetrical but it truly depends on YOUR particular exam

Peter Aldea MD

Concave chest and breast augmentation

From the sounds of it, you have a concave chest otherwise known as a pectus excavatum.  This does not necessarily preclude you from having breast augmentation.  You should be aware that breast augmentation may increase the appearance of depth in the central chest region. Patients with this issue may also require that special attention be paid to the inward slope of the chest wall as well as nipple areolar complexes that are positioned closer to the middle of the chest than desired. Provided that these issues are accounted for, breast augmentation may be performed. I would have a careful discussion with your chosen board-certified plastic surgeon with respect to expectations including size, shape, nipple position, etc. This should help to avoid any pitfalls with your surgery.  Regardless thank you for the question and I wish you the best.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Concave chest and breast augmentation

If you have severe concavity it can impact your augmentation result. You would have to be seen in person. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

thank you for your question Sara I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with your first consultation. Although I cannot tell you whether or not you would be a good candidate without an in-person consultation, I would like to let you know that you are not alone feeling insecure.  I am assuming that by a concave chest, you are referring to Pectus Excavatum (aka. cobbler’s chest, sunken chest, etc.). It is a common congenital chest wall deformity and many patients feel insecure with regards to their body image and avoid activities that expose their chest rendering them to avoid social activities. Fortunately, breast implants can be used to correct pectus excavatum.  A careful and comprehensive surgical plan could be developed at an in-person consultation in which the implants will be tailored to your chest wall, and breast characteristics. Sometimes, if there is still significant asymmetry after using 2 different sized implants, then fat transfer to equalize fill in the breasts is an additional option in cases of breast deformities.  However realize that there is a limit to what can be done and you will not have perfectly symmetrical breasts no matter what. These are all reasons why it is important to see a board-certified plastic surgeon, and that too in-person. Hope this helps. Best of Luck!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

East augmentation - I'm just curious whether or not I'm a good candidate because of the concave chest.

Thank you for the question. It is not a contraindication to have breast augmentation with pectins excavatum. It is best to have a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck.

Breast augmentation

It is difficult to accurately comment on this without photos however, a breast augmentation will allow your physician to improve the shape and size of your breasts which in turn will help conceal any chest wall concavity. A proper consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will allow you to express your expectations of surgery and your surgeon will be able to determine which technique, type of implant and size of implant that would best suit you. Good luck. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Consultation

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation with pleasant, proportional results can be done for patients with your issue. It may be time to meet with another board certified Plastic Surgeon for consultation and share your concerns/ goals. Unfortunately, the only way that you can expect to get meaningful recommendations will be with an examination in person.

All the best

Pectus excavatum and breast augmentation?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, I think that you may have pectus excavatum. There is nothing in your description that makes me think that you will not do well with breast augmentation surgery.
Often, patients with pectus excavatum have medially sloped chest walls ( sloped towards the cleavage area); care must be taken during the breast implant pocket dissection to avoid the implants coming together too close in the sternal area.
Also, patients with pectus excavatum may have their nipple/areola complexes relatively medially positioned on their breasts; without intervention this inward leaning appearance of the nipple/areola does not improve with breast augmentation surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons; asked to see lots of examples of his/her work. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast surgery for patients with pectus excavatum, helpful to you as you learn more.
Best wishes. It will go as well as

Breast Augmentation

Photos and physical exam are optimal because I try to tailor each breast augmentation operation to my patient's desires and body type. There are pros and cons regarding saline and silicone implants, and patient anatomy and preference play a role in selection. The same is true regarding implant projection. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and go to your consult with all your questions written down so you don't forget to ask something. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery?

Variations of chest wall anatomy do not in and of themselves exclude a patient from being a candidate for breast augmentation.  Obviously they may have a role in terms of the anticipated result but patients who undergo breast augmentation come in all shapes and sizes!  The best place to start would be to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon or surgeons in your area for a consultation.