Inquiry about shaped silicone breast implants. Are they a good choice?

My surgeon suggested I get shaped implants. I'm skeptical for a few reasons: first, the implants rotate? I didn't think about that, but it makes sense. What are the chances of my implants to rotate? Secondly, How would it be corrected, if at all? Third, Are shaped implants as soft as round silicone implants? Finally, Does the shape of the implants effect how they move (if you want to push them up or closer together)?

Shpaed implants when shape is needed

I find that most patients looking for breast augmentation are seeking the upper pole fullness that round implants provide. In thin patients desiring a larger breast augmentation, I will occasionally recommend a shaped implant to achieve a gentle slope to the upper breast when the round implant may be too much. Shaped implants are textured in order to keep them from rotating and that presents other risks/benefits that should be discussed with your surgeon.  

Shaped implants help in borderline lift cases

I agree with you shaped implants are at risk of rotation and they are slightly more stiff. This is why I do not recommend shaped implant for the typical breast augmentation patient with good position of the nipples. There is one more think shaped implants require larger incision (scar) and cannot be placed through the armpit, which is the best way to have larger breasts without scars.However these disadvantages are worth it is borderline lift cases where the shape of the implant may allow me to avoid external lift scars. Please review our internal lift pics. These are done with shaped implants and this is why these women have no vertical or perialeolar scars

Silicone implants, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting question.
Breast lift with Augmentation with Saline or Silicon It is a very common question.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Find the right surgeon for you

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation

Breast Augmentation

Good set of questions.Rotation is an issue with shaped implants.The silicone is linked a bit differently in the different types of implants making shaped implants a bit firmer. Shaped implants move less than round implants.

Round, smooth gel implants vs. Form-stable, textured anatomical shaped implants

For the vast majority of my patients I recommend smooth round gel implants. They cost less. They will require a smaller incision and  rotation within the pocket is not a concern.  If they do rotate, then the only correction would be another surgical procedure, if it obvious.  There have been some concerns with textured implants in a exceedingly small group of women, and that is seen more with some manufacturers than others. Yes, you are also right that round get implants have a softer, less firm compressibility compared to form stable. Ask your surgeon if he or she has a patient that switched from one type to the other, and ask if you might be able to talk with her. There are roles for the form-stable implants, but I prefer them more for post-mastectomy reconstruction than elective augmentation mammoplasty. Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Shaped vs Round Implants

The issues that you bring up are exactly the reason why the shaped implants are not ideal in most breast augmentation patients.  They are firmer, do not move like a regular breast should, and require a bigger incision for placement.  Because all of the anatomical shaped implants are textured ( to help prevent rotation), they also have a higher rate of fluid production around the implant when compared to the smooth round devices.  They do have their role, especially in breast reconstruction cases.  However, a smooth round device can look just as natural as a shaped device, while feeling softer and acting like a normal breast.  I recommend a second opinion to investigate other options before deciding on which direction to go.  I hope this helps.

Implant choice

I prefer round smooth. Some of your concerns are part of why. If you hole a round implant vertical, as it is in the body, it practically mimics the shape of the shaped implant since the gel "settles" more toward the bottom some. A well done procedure with either will look good.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Shaped implants

I prefer smooth round silicone implants for several reasons that you described. But for some individuals I will use the "gummy" type shaped implants.

Shaped implants

Shaped implants can rotate and are much harder in feeling. I do not use them because of these problems. They are unpredictable and can lead to rotation deformity.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS