Incision opening and foul odor (Photo)

Hi, I am 3 weeks post op I noticed a small opening in my incision area, I have been cleaning daily with peroxide, as well as putting antibiotic ointment on and covering with a gauze, today I noticed when I removed my tape that there was a foul odor coming from my incision but not where the hole is located, it's right above my pubic area, I don't see any holes or leakage in that area I'm so confused!!!! Please help me!

Open incision

From the photos, it looks like a small area of the incision has opened slightly. This is usually secondary to a suture that is worked its way to the surface. My patients treat this by cleaning it with mild soap and water and placing antibiotic ointment twice a day. Go back to see your operating surgeon and see if any remnant of the suture can be removed to hasten the healing process. Good luck.

Incision odor

Keep it clean with soap and water and call your surgeon for a visit. It is most likely a small area of slow healing but reassurance and care from your surgeon will be very helpful.

best

David Shifrin, MD

See your surgeon

Anytime there is increased swelling, redness, oozing or an odor, it is a good idea to have the situation assessed in person by your surgeon. Also, speak with him or her about proper wound care. Peroxide can be irritating for some and may be making the situation worse. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Incision and odour

Hello, it is difficult to understand exactly what is causing your concerning odour without a proper assessment.  I would suggest contacting your PS so they can help you understand your wound healing problem.