I am three weeks post TT and still swollen. Will Arnicare gel help? (Photo)

I am three weeks post TT today 10/03/16 and still very swollen will Arnicare gel help reduce some of the swelling or is it too late to use this type of product! Also is it too early to start using scarway?

Swelling After Tummy Tuck

Swelling is normal after a tummy tuck. The majority of the swelling will occur in the first 6 weeks and then gradually subside up to 6-12 months. A binder or compression garment as prescribed by your plastic surgeon, arnica pills, avoiding salty foods, and drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of leafy/water-laden fruits and vegetables may all help to hasten your recovery. If your incision is without openings, scar treatment may be started, but check with your plastic surgeon first and follow his/her instructions. Wishing you a smooth recovery!

Sacramento Physician

TT Swelling at 3 weeks

TT swelling ranges greatly. It is effected by what was done (liposuction, mechanical, Vaser, among others) your genetics, diet and many more factors. The swelling you demonstrate is not excessive. Arnica may help with bruising and swelling, but only when taken around the time of surgery. Scar treatment can certainly be applied when all of the wound has healed but talk to your doctor first. Lymphatic massage, compressive garments, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ice, dietary restriction of salt  have all been used to reduce swelling. Talk to your suegeon and ask what they prefer. Good luck and be patient.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Arnica after a tummy tuck

Thanks for the question.  At this point in your recovery Arnica does not offer any real benefits.  Unfortunately, time is the best cure for postoperative swelling after a tummy tuck.  It really takes two to three months for most of the swelling to resolve and up to six months for complete resolution.  Massage to facilitate lymphatic drainage can help.  Make sure to seek a massage therapist who specializes in lymphatic drainage methods.  At three weeks it is usually acceptable to start using silicone sheets to help with the scarring.

I am three weeks post TT and still swollen. Will Arnicare gel help?

Arnica will not help with swelling. Ask your surgeon about massage and silicone based scar care products. Learn more in at the link below. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS