I had a tummy tuck and revision. I have loose skin still. Dr says he can't fix about BB without 3 inch horizontal scar. (photos)

2 tummy tucks what do I do. Doctor says he had to make a 3 inch horizontal incision above my belly button to fix the excess skin

Excess skin and fat after TT revisions

Based on your photos and appearance of scar it is questionable whether your skin flap was undermined above belly button. It appears that without releasing belly button, pulling skin down, removing redundant skin, creating new BB and liposuction, you will not have a very good result. This means a new, full TT! However, if you do not want to go that way, an aggressive liposuction of abdomen and flanks will definitely improve current result. 

You should seek a second opinion consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

I had a tummy tuck and revision. I have loose skin still. Dr says he can't fix about BB without 3 inch horizontal scar

It does not appear that you have an incision around her belly button. From the photos I suspect that you did not have a full abdominoplasty. The horizontal scar appears somewhat short based on the size of your frame. It is very likely that a horizontal scar on the upper portion of your abdomen is completely unnecessary. I would see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for a second opinion.

Tummy tuck and revision - still have excess skin

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• I am sorry you are going through this - it is very frustrating.
  • The upper abdomen skin can cause problems because it is much thicker than the lower skin.
  • First ask your surgeon to explain if this is extra fat that can be removed with liposuction or loose skin.
  • If it is loose skin, there are two options.
  • The first is to simply cut it out as your surgeon plans - this will leave a scar across the abdomen above the navel but is the easiest to do.
  • The second is to do a reverse tummy tuck - this is a major procedure, with a scar under the breasts that raises the skin of the lower chest and upper abdomen.
  • If surgery was done recently, please wait 9 months before doing more - it may be swollen and may improve strikingly on its own.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck and Revision

Thank you for your question, and for providing the pictures.

It's a little difficult to know exactly what's going on without a physical exam, knowing how things appeared preoperatively, and knowing the details of the surgical procedure.  Your surgeon knows you, and your surgeries best.  I would ask about the possibility of a "reverse tummy tuck" which would pull the excess skin upwards, and hide the majority of the incision underneath your breasts (with a small area that's visible between the breasts).

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon