I am noticing my jowls are sagging slightly. Is there a procedure that is recommended to correct this?

I am 44 years old. I have been using filler and botox since the age of 37. I have used filler under the eyes and have also had my nasolabial folds injected. I've recently noticed some sagging in my jowl area. Is there any procedures or additional procedures I could benefit from to correct this problem. I tend to be very critical of my appearance.

Treatment of Facial Aging in the 40-50 Age Group

There are generally 2 approaches for people your age. First is non-surgical. This presently is best done with a filler like Juvederm Voluma placed over the zygoma and malar bone. This lifts the jowl and the nasolabial fold. The nasolabial folds are injected only if not corrected by the higher injection. This product also lasts for an average of 2 years. If this does not work well enough, then a facelift is the next option. There are, however, multiple variations of this procedure. For people your age, I prefer a modification of the MACS Lift. This corrects the problem naturally and with less recovery and scar. Make sure whomever you see has significant experience  in facial rejuvenation in people your age.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift Lifts Jowls

The best procedure to fix jowling is a lower facelift or necklift. Well performed, it can last between 8 and 10 years. Nonsurgical methods are temporary and must be repeated frequently. I hope this helps.

Indications of a Facelift Candidate

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

I do see the jowling you have and there are ways to address this issue.  You can try some type of skin tightening procedures.  I use Protege Elite which tightens skin and builds collagen.  A minimal incision facelift will work very well for you.  This will tighten the lower half of your face and address the jowl area.

There are a number of surgical and non-surgical options that can improve one's cosmetic appearance: fillers, skin-tightening procedures, lasers, fat contouring, a variety of neck and face lifts. Each has benefits and drawbacks. Mini procedures do not produce the long lasting maximum improvement that is achieved with a natural appearing artistically performed lift performed by an expert experienced plastic surgeon. That is achieved by a combination of elevating the sagging tissues, removing the excess skin, contouring the fat, and adding micro-fat grafts or fillers where there is a deficiency.

Keep in mind, that following the exact advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on seeing 2 dimensional photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Sagging jowls

The bad news is at a young age you do have a jowl problem but the good news is a minilift would would work well and last a long time. Now is a good time to resolve the problem while it is minimal.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

you might be able to post-pone a surgical option with the use of Sculptra to plump your cheeks up and give you a small lift to the jowl region

Julio Garcia, MD

Those Jowls

As we age, the soft tissues of our face loosen and begin to descend, we loose volume (fat) in our face, and our skin begins to thin and become less elastic. In the mirror, we see loose, saggy skin, jowls, and upper face hollowness. All these can be corrected with a face-lift. This procedure can lift the soft tissue back into place and remove the excess saggy skin. Fat grafting can also be performed at the same time to restore the lost soft tissue volume. This procedure is often done though incisions that are hidden in front and behind the ear, and within the hair. A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a plastic surgeon would be the next best step.

You are starting to notice one of the changes that we correct with a facelift. There are many ways of doing that procedure, and each has its own name and proponents. Just find a surgeon experienced in facial rejuvenation and you will get your answers as to which one will work best for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Jowls and Facelift

Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for a conservative facelift for a permanent result.   Non surgical options will not solve your problem.   Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is highly trained to discuss your goals and expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD