I had a labiaplasty done on July 21st, 2016 (4 days ago as of right now). Is there an infection going on? (photo)

The stitches on the left side are very pink compared to the right, is that a sign of infection? There is a lot of swelling going on even though i apply ice often. It's painful but not unbearable. It has also been getting very itchy. Also, the bottom of my labia is very purple and dry to touch, is this a hematoma?

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.   I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Swelling 4 day post labiaplasty

HI Qr,from the photos, it seems that there is swelling which could be normal at 4 days post-op. It would be best,  however, for you to visit with your surgeon to make sure that an infection is not starting.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

Trim and swelling

it appears that you have normal swelling after a trim labiaplasty. Infection is exceedingly rare with these procedures. You may end up with more redundancy than you desire. Best to be patient and keep your doctor posted on things. 

Lotsa swelling day 4 post-op labiaplasty...

Day 4 is the height of swelling and purplish discoloration, and this looks like what is going on from your photo. But we honestly can't make a definitive diagnosis on a patient we didn't operate on from a photo. From my vantage point, it LOOKS like normal discoloration & swelling, but you should send your photo(s) to or visit your surgeon for definitive advice. The attached info may help...
Best wishes,Michael P Goodman, MD

I had a labiaplasty done on July 21st, 2016 (4 days ago as of right now). Is there an infection going on?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. It would be a little early to have had an infection develop but I do appreciate the pink color that you are describing.  This is most likely a reaction to your sutures and swelling and will improve given enough time.  You do have a fair amount of swelling present along the tissues and I would recommend pelvic elevation and cold impresses as you have been doing.  The purple area along the lower border of your labia appears to be more consistent with a bruise than a hematoma but your surgeon is in the best position to confirm that.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty recovery

Thank you for sharing your photo. You appear to have normal post operative swelling and your incision lines are intact. There is no photographic evidence of infection, but this is a clinical diagnosis that can only be made in person. Every plastic surgeon has their own protocol- I would check in with yours to talk through your concerns as well as get some recommendations for the itching. Dilute vinegar soaks, sitz baths, hydrocortisone cream, and sometimes even oral steroids can all be helpful, but you'll want to run these by your surgeon. Congratulations and best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Labiaplasty post p concern

Thank you for your question. Pictures does not suggest infection. You have swelling there and it is expected. Please talk to your surgeon and follow instructions from their office.

Labiaplasty x 4 days ago

Thank you for sharing. From what I can see is you are swollen and this will reside over time.   There doesn't seem to be an infectious process at this time but remember we can not make the diagnosis by photo alone.  If there is any area which is purple most likely there is a small hematoma but there is nothing noticeable on the photo so it probably nothing to worry about.  I would encourage you to send your photo to your treating surgeon and get his take on the post operative results.  Best of Luck
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai