Have gold inlay. It apparently is changing color. Does that mean that there's now a new problem? Should it be replaced by crown?

Should the inlay be removed and be replaced by a crown? The inlay is at least 30 years old.

Gold Inlay

It doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem, though it depends on what you mean by "changing color". If the tooth around it is turning dark, that could mean there is decay in the tooth in which case the tooth needs to be examined and potentially fixed. The gold itself usually does not change color. Should it need replacement, depending on why, you could have a new inlay placed or you may indeed need a crown. 

30 year old inlay ... #DrSarahThompson

If you've had an inlay for 30 years, then it would be a good idea to have it examined.  I expect inlays, crowns, veneers, and bridges to last 30 years, if done at my office, but its important to have a dentist check it to make sure that there's no leakage or cracks.  If you are having no pain and the dentist finds that everything is intact, then you do not need to get a new one, just because the color has changed some.  I hope this helps.  Click "save" under my name to follow me on RealSelf and ask more questions.