I have had a crown for two months and it started getting a bit sensitive 3 days ago, will I need a root canal?

I had a crown put on in the back of my jaw, (2nd tooth from the back) over two months ago. It was deep cavity. I experienced a little sensitivity to cold water the first two days but it was minimal. Then nothing until about three days ago when it started getting sensitive to cold water. I can bite fine. In fact I pushed on the tooth and it didn't hurt. From a scale of 1-10 it's probably a 3. I brush my teeth twice a day & flossing every night & mouthwash.

#Crown sensitivity #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
It's not uncommon to experience some sensitivity or discomfort after having your tooth prepped for a crown. I usually recommend allowing two weeks or so after crown placement for your tooth to heal. My advice for you would be to return to your dentist for an evaluation. A simple bite adjustment may be all you need or it's possible that root canal treatment may be necessary. Your dentist will likely take an x-ray and examine you tooth to determine the cause of your sensitivity. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Sensitive crown

It's possible that your cold sensitivity is totally normal. The tooth may be trying to heal from the trauma of having dental work. It is also possible that it is starting to become irritated and may need a root canal. I suggest visiting your dentist and allowing them to take an x-ray and evaluate your bite . This will give you the best answer to your question.

Tooth Sensitivity

Sensitivity to cold doesn't necessarily mean that your tooth will need a root canal. There are other reasons that it can be sensitive. If you grind your teeth at night and the tooth hits a certain way, the tooth can become sensitive. If you have even a slight amount of gum recession, the same thing can happen. I would have your dentist take a look to see if it needs any slight adjustment. You can also try using a toothpaste formulated for sensitive teeth.