I got a chin implant last year, and I asked for length and projection. The results were minimum projection. (photos)

He gave me a medium sized implant and said it would give both projection and length. Once the swelling went down, there was almost no projection. When I was upset about the lack of projection, he gave me filler but I was wondering if there was a more permanent solution since that is why I got the implant in the first place. Can this be fixed?

Doctor Answers 2

Candidate for chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

I got a chin implant last year, and I asked for length and projection. The results were minimum projection.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Assuming that your implant is in the proper position, it is definitely too small. A larger implant, possibly of a different style would be best. Implants are not effective at vertically lengthening the chin. I don't think the one vertical style on the market is attractive. If you need vertical length then an oral surgeon can perform a chin or jaw advancement for you. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.