I would like to get Botox for the 1st time. Will it help the puffiness underneath my eyes?

I would like to get botox for the first time I'm starting to see puffness under my eyes can botox help me with this

Botox for bags under the eye?

Botox is most commonly used to treat and prevent wrinkles that are caused by facial animation and muscle activity (such as frown lines, crows feet, etc.). Botox can also be used for other cosmetic reasons such as a wide jaw (masseter hypertrophy), chemical brow lift, etc. With regards to puffiness under the eye, without a physical exam and certainly without photos, no recommendation can be made as to what the best course of action is. If the "bags" under the eye are due to orbicularis oculi hypertrophy with smiling, Botox may help and be safely administered in a select group of patients. If those bags are due to other causes, though, Botox would be the wrong treatment. Please see a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to discuss the best course of action. Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox won't help under eye puffiness.

Botox helps soften muscle movement but don't help with under eye puffiness at all.  Botox is great for the wrinkles on the sides of the eyes.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Cosmetic® smooths wrinkles in the skin by relaxing the underlying musculature which is attached to the skin. When these muscles are more relaxed (and less contracted) when the face is not making expressions, then superficial wrinkles formed by these muscle contractions are smoothed for a period of 3-4 months. Botox Cosmetic® does not treat puffiness at all, and can actually worsen the appearance of loose skin.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox for under eye puffiness

It depends on what you mean by ‘puffiness’.  If it is a muscle that
is causing the puffiness just under the lash line, Botox may help reduce the
bulk of the muscle.  If, however, your puffiness is caused by extra skin
or fat protruding causing bags under the eyes – this could potentially get
worse.  Please see an experience plastic surgeon for an exam, he or she
can guide you with what is best for your lower lids.  Good luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Botox doesnt help swelling under the eyes.  This can be improved with fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP and surgery.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for puffiness under the eyes

Hello, and thank you for your question. It is difficult to say exactly what the best procedure for you would be without a photo, but as a general rule, puffiness under the eyes will not be helped by Botox. Botox acts by relaxing the muscles which cause wrinkles in the upper face. Puffiness is generally caused by excess fluid, excess skin, or the fat pads that surrounding the eye losing their support system, and "slumping" forward. Since puffiness is usually not caused by muscle activity, Botox will not make it go away.

It is really hard to determine if Botox can benefit you without photos.  I suggest you seek a consultation and evaluation by a trained professional. Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX under the eyes

When used for cosmetic purposes, BOTOX treats lines around the eyes (referred to as the crows feet), forehead and in between the eyes (known as the glabellar). The medicine keeps the muscles in those areas from moving to minimize lines as well as preventing new ones from forming. BOTOX is not administered under the eyes. In some cases we suggest using a filler in the tear troughs to smooth out under the eye, or other procedures may be recommended. I suggest seeing a practitioner in your area who can evaluate your concerns to make the best recommendation possible.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician

Puffiness under eyes

Hello, and thanks for your question. Without photos I'm afraid it's difficult to assess what your need for intervention(s). I recommend an in-person consult with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox under eyes

Hello! Botox will not likely improve your under-eye puffiness, and sometimes can make it worse by weakening the muscled that helps hold fat pads in place. You may benefit from filler to the tear trough region, if you have a hollow, as hollows can give the appearance of fullness above the shadows. If you do not have a hollow, blepharoplasty may be your best option to improve puffiness but keep in mind that sleep, salt, allergies and other things impact potential eye bags in some people. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon