I am seeing different answers to this question? How long does fat transfer last?

I would like to know if fat transfer to the hips or butt permanent?, how long will the fat stay? I don't want to pay 7k for lipo fat transfer if the results are not permanent!

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent?

After 6-12 weeks if the fat is there, it stays forever in my experience unless you have extreme weight loss -- then you can lose fat everywhere and you will not have optimal results from fat grafting. I suggest you see an expert and do sculptra/PRP to get long term improvement and maintenance of the fat. PRP and purgraft give the best outcome and viability. Best, Dr. Emer

Fat transfer

Fat transfer is permanent.  I usually see about  70%  final take. Once it has taken it will only fluctuate with weight gain/loss.

Results from fat transfer

A certain percentage of the fat almost always survives permanently.

The amount of fat that survives long-term depends on multiple factors.

Most plastic surgeons estimate 50% of the grafted fat will disappear over the first year.
For some people it may be more than that.

Because of this most plastic surgeons who specialize in these procedures will attempt to over treat.
The results of this procedure tend to have multiple variables and be inherently inconsistent.

This may be why you have read conflicting reports.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Longevity of fat transplants

Good question.  I feel that the answer is not known with any certainty.  In visible areas of depression I have seen improvement that lasted several years after the procedure.  In one patient I saw decreased but visible benefits even ten years after the procedure.  Those patients were lost to further follow up so it becomes difficult to know.I feel that you should assume that a variable amount of the fat transfer will not survive at all and that the residual transferred fat will benefit you for somewhere between 3-10 years.  There are not guarantees so please keep that in mind.  If you want nothing less than perfection and permanence with fat transfer I would encourage you to think twice before spending the money.   On the other hand, what alternatives do you have that may give you a lasting result?Best wishes, Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Results are lasting as long as you dont lose a significant amount of weight

While there is some loss of the fat transferred there is a dramatic and permanent body shape change after a BBL.  The improved waist, flank and back contours are maintained unless there is weight gain and the same is true for the buttocks unless there is significant weight loss

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. The use of fat transfer is analogous to a farmer planting seeds. The idea here is that you would evenly distribute seeds in the ground so that they have the best chance of taking root. To Simply take all your seeds and put them into a hole will result in the seeds not germinating. This is not the seeds fault but rather the person who placed the seeds incorrectly. Even under ideal circumstances, there will be seeds that simply do not germinate  and  die. Fat grafting is very similar and so it is technique dependent. We want to evenly distribute the fat grafts or parcels throughout the area in which they are being placed to thereby allow the best chance of new blood vessel growth enhancing its long-term survival. Once the fat parcels are placed, and have received their new blood supply, they have the potential to last a lifetime. This can vary from Patient to Patient, from surgeon to surgeon, and also from the areas in which the fat is removed and transferred. There are many variables that are still not fully understood so I would certainly recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the various aspects of that transfer. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

well, no one really knows. It depends on technique your body type age quality of the fat and what happens to your weight. In general a percentage of the fat takes and at a constant weight it will last a long time meaning multiple years.  If you lose weight the grafted fat will recede. If you gain weight the grafted fat will grow, This sometimes looks good, sometimes it looks terrible. Trouble is no one knows the percentages or how many years.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon