Does my hymen need surgical removal to stop pain with penetration? (photos)

For awhile now, I've been thinking I have vaginismus. It has occurred to me that I haven't taken a look at a possible physical problem instead. After examining myself and reading about intact hymens and the sexual pain that comes with it, I'm wondering if that could be my issue too. Please look at these photos and let me know if any surgical removal can be done here. I can't insert anything without a lot of pain or discomfort. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2

Hymen: Pain with Penetration

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your issues.  A physical examination by a qualified gynecologist is recommended for issues that you are describing.  If a hymenectomy is a possible solution, then you should find a qualified surgeon with experience in genital surgery to evaluate and discuss the options.  I wish you the best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist)

See your gynecologist if you have sexual pain issues

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Painful sex can be due to many issues. The quickest and most effective way to obtain relief is to visit your gynecologist to identify the exact source of discomfort. Dr. Google will give you a list of possibilities, but no answers. A photo doesn't give enough info.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.