Hematoma removal 20 days post breast augmentation. Any suggestions?

Yesterday my left side starting swelling almost immediately. I wasn't doing anything vigorous but my daughter accidentally kicked me. I immediately called my PS and ended up in the ER as the pain was horrible! This morning my PS performed surgery to remove the fluid and reinserted the implant. I'm so concerned that this will happen again and that my recovery is delayed. I was feeling so good and this is horrible! Is it common to have a hematoma 3 weeks post? What could have caused it?

Hematoma

Any kind of trauma, such as your daughter kicking your breast, can cause a hematoma. It's why you have to be really careful during the first month after surgery. I am sorry this happened but just take care and you should be fine. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Hematoma

Any trauma to the chest wall can result in this complication, especially in the first month after surgery.  You need to be careful in this early period of recovery.  

Hematoma following breast augmentation.

A hematoma out of the blue at three weeks is rare.  Apparently the trauma of your daughters kick must have opened up an artery end that had clotted off.  If your plastic surgeon found the bleeding vessel and coagulated it, then your risk of another hematoma should be very low.

All my best.

The formation of a hematoma can be seen at three weeks after surgery.  Sometimes there is not any trauma the patient can recall.  In your case, the accidental kick from your daughter probably was part of the reason for the hematoma.  Your plastic surgeon treated you appropriately with the surgical removal of the hematoma.  Make sure you follow your post-op instructions for limitation of physical activities.   Best wishes.  

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Late hematoma

Late hematoma after breast augmentation while not common can certainly happen especially with the scenario like trauma in recently healed tissues. It sounds to me like your surgeon handled it appropriately and you should be well on your way to an uneventful recovery. Keep in touch with your surgeon in the early postoperative phase and follow their instructions. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Hematoma 3 weeks postoperatively

The incidence of hematoma after breast augmentation is very low (<2%) particularly several weeks from your surgery. Nonetheless when managed appropriately (as it appears to have been with you), you should expect a full recovery. The chance that it will happen again exists but again, this would be EXTREMELY uncommon. Follow the guidelines of your surgeon closely. Good luck!

Hematoma After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question.

I'm sorry that happened to you.  A hematoma at 3 weeks isn't usual, but it certainly can happen.  Sometimes it's trauma to the area, sometimes it's just "bad luck".  I credit your plastic surgeon for taking care of the problem expeditiously.  The good news is that while your recovery is "delayed" technically, the long term result should not be affected.

It is highly unlikely that this will happen again (but it's possible).  Be sure to follow your doctors recommendations regarding activity restrictions, medications and dietary supplements to avoid, and which type of garments to wear.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Hematoma 3 weeks post BA

Hematomas 3 weeks post BA is unusual, but not unheard of.  It may be related to being kicked.  It is not likely to recur if your surgeon took care of it surgically.  Take it easy and follow your surgeon's instructions and follow-up closely with your surgeon to make sure everything progresses as expected.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma 3 weeks after surgery

A hematoma this long after surgery is unusual but with the aggressive care that you had I would expect it to be fine.  You will want to talk to your PS regarding activity restrictions but I would assume that you will be on restricted activity for a few more weeks.   

Best of luck.   York Yates, Utah. 

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon