Hard, lump like painful scarring behind areolas 9 months post breast augmentation. Can anything be done?

I had breast augmentation (silicone implants, 270cc, areola incision) done 9 mths ago. I developed a hard lump of scar tissue (like a hard ball) behind each nipple which makes my breast feel unnatural and has lately become painful as well. My surgeon tells me to massage and be patient but it is worrying me that this problem continues and does not seem to be getting better. It makes me regretful that I got implants. Is there anything that can be done to make these hard lumps feel natural again?

Doctor Answers 10

See your surgeon

Sadly, this isn't something that I can assess without an in person exam. I would suggest that you make an appointment to see your surgeon and get him to explain exactly what is going on and what, if anything, can be done to alleviate your discomfort. Sorry that you are going through this -- Dr. Nazarian

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Scary lump post surgery

Thanks for your question. Without examining you it is impossible to make a diagnosis. If you are not happy you might want to seek the opinion of a second plastic surgeon. You can find one in your area by going to asps.org.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Painful lumps

areas of tenderness and firmness are common after surgery.  They usually dissipate with time.  You should certainly ask your surgeon to help explain what is going on and to determine in person whether this is an unusual or abnormal process in your case.

Mark Eberbach, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Breast pain

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your struggle.  I am not sure why you formed those lumps after your augmentation, did you have a peri-areolar incision?  If it is scar tissue it could still get better.  If it is breast tissue, I am not sure what is happening.  Please keep close communication with your surgeon.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 200 reviews

Lumps under areola

 Without seeing you in person it's hard to guess what is causing the lump. If you have had an areolar incision, it may just be scar tissue below the incision that may take up to a year to dissipate. Sometimes, dilute steroid injections can accelerate the dissolution of the extra scar. Likewise, if all else fails the scar can be revised. You can certainly seek the opinion of another plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Hard lump

I would see your surgeon and ask him to please explain why the lump is not getting better and if he could excise those painful lumps. You could always get a second opinion.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Firmness and discomfort under the areoals

Without an actual exam, it is not possible to offer specific advice as to what this is.  If you are not satisfied with the information your surgeon is providing, I would suggest getting a second opinion.

All the best. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Hard lump and pain

It is difficult to determine what the hard lump is and what is causing it without a proper examination. I would suggest returning to your plastic surgeon once again. If you aren't given explanations or solutions, you need to consult with another board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Hard lump

Without an examination, I cannot say what your painful lump is. However, you might want to get a second opinion. A hard painful lump is not normal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Hard scar after areolar incision for implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

  • It is not easy to tell what is going on -
  • But you should not have pain and a lump under your nipple after an areolar incision.
  • If your surgeon cannot explain it or treat it, I would get a second opinion to see what might be done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.