Why is it to hard and high? Is it going to drop and be ok?

I am 14 days post op and my right boob is high hard and stiff. I am worried it won't get soft and I need surgery to fix it? I been doing massages for 3 days and it's so hard to try and move the implant my left is prefect. Should I be worried ? Do I still have time for it to drop and fluff ?

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Early concerns over right implant being higher and harder

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio. Currently, there is excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45), so in time, this will change.

It is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. So there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.”

With regards to the firmness, this is very common right after surgery. You must be concerned because it is mostly in one breast, and may suspect that it could be capsular contracture, but it is too early for that. In general, capsular contracture (CC) can occur at any time, but most cases are documented anywhere from 3 months to 12 months post operation. This is because it takes time for the fibrous tissue capsule to form around the implant, and then it will have to scar down (contract).

Nevertheless, capsular contracture can start early when there is significant bleeding or infection or another co-existing problem.

However, such tightness is just because the breast tissue and skin have not adopted to the implants yet. With effects of gravity and healing, the breasts will feel more natural and soft as time goes.  

Massaging will keep the naturally occurring capsule stretched hindering it from contracting. However, this should not be done excessively as you may further aggravate the breast pocket causing inflammation.

For now, maintain strict follow-up with your surgeon and share your concerns. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

14 Days Post Op

Asymmetries can be expected at this point as well as breast firmness, however if you note concerning changes like an increase in firmness and pain, I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know so that they can assess you.
All the best

Breast implant settling concerns...

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.  Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.  As breast implants "settle", they tend to round out the lower breast poles. As this occurs, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound. Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.