Will I get a good result from a lift only? (photo)

My original plan was to get small implants (250 saline) with a small lift around the nipple (also making nipple a little smaller). I don't want larger breasts. I just wanted to fill in what deflated after two children. I was a full c cup prior to babies. Now I am scared to get the implants. There are a lot of stories of illness, etc. My question is if I would get a good result from a breast lift only and what my expectations should be. Thank you.

Lift Without Implants?

Based on your pictures and goals, I doubt a simple lift will allow you to achieve the desired look.  Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery performed every year and one of the reasons for that is because it is very safe.  Breast implants are the most studied medical device in the history of the FDA and they have never been found to cause any of the strange things that people still try and attribute to them.  Complications can happen with any surgery, but when done correctly, this surgery has very small risks.  I hope this helps.

Result from a Lift

Thank you for your question, it is a very common one.
Breast augmentation is a safe procedure.  Of course, no procedures is 100% safe, and the stories you are hearing are the vast MINORITY of cases.  Still, if the risk is worrisome to you, there are other options.  The first option is a lift, as you mention.  You would have a nice shape, with more lifted areolas (and can make them smaller too, if you'd like).  If you'd like to volumize the breast more and not use an implant, then fat grafting to the breast is a wonderful option.  Since we use your own fat, there is no foreign body present, and you get liposuction of your problem areas as well.
I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon who can discuss your options with you.
Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Lift only

Hi There,of course you do not have to have implants if you do not want them.you can have a breast lift, which will cut skin only. the most minimal scar will be a lollipop. but remember that it will bring you a half-cup size down.now if not enough, you can always change your mind later and have an augmentation with implants if you wish.hope this help,F. Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Lift only?

Thank you for your question and the photo. You appear to have very nice shaped, full breasts. Provided that you do not seek additional volume, that only an implant (or fat grafting) can provide, I think you would have a very nice result with a lift or mastopexy alone. The incision can be limited to around the areola. This procedure will tighten the skin and elevate the nipple/areola complex on the breast. The diameter of the areola can also be decreased with this procedure. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to hear about all your options, including no need for surgery at all! Best WIshes,Michael Morrissey, MD

Will I get a good result from a lift only?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Your breasts appear to be mildly droopy and so a mastopexy would allow a slight skin reduction and repositioning of the nipple. This would not change your cup size. It is important to understand that a lift will reposition your breast without any change in your cup size at all. And implant will necessarily increase your cup size without having any impact on the position of the breast. These two concepts are independent of each other but are often confused. Although your concerns regarding breast implant safety are certainly Justified, there is significant data that show that women with silicone implants have no higher risk of developing all those diseases you may have heard about over saline devices. Any implant would necessarily, however, increase your cup size. Fat transfer is the concept of removing fat from one part of the body and transferring it to the breast. This is very technique dependent but once integrated into the body, fat has the potential to last a lifetime with results that are simply unmatched by any implant. Please understand that any volume whether it is an implant or fat will necessarily increase your cup size. I would certainly consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

"Scarless" breast lift

I would definitely consider you a good patient for a lift only and use the minimal scar procedure. At a later time if you wanted a little more fullness someone has already mentioned fat transfer or you might consider a small implant in the future. I think you'll be perfectly happy with the lift only especially with the scar going only around the areola. Not everyone likes to do that operation so make sure you find a board-certified plastic surgeon that does for your second opinion.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

If you wish to avoid implants, a lift alone may be OK. Consider a transfer of your own fat for a small amount of upper fullness. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, the optimal breast enhancement would likely be achieved with a breast lift with implants.  Breast implants have been extensively studied and are FDA approved.  There always risks with any surgery and this is why you have to weigh the benefits versus the risks.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

A lift only.

In order to know if a lift alone will allow you to reach your goal we would need to understand what you wish to look like after your breast enhancement. An around the nipple lift will tend to lessen breast projection and can't provide the upper fill that many hope to see after breast lift. The small implant is the "safe" option for improved breast shape.