Can I fly out of the United States 20 days after a BBL?

I want to visit my parents, 4 hr flight. I'll be one almost 3 weeks post surgery! I've read many posts that most people can return to work within 10 day, but still I'm hesitant! My plan is to spend Christmas and New Years with them. I will be returning to the U S in a month. Should I make the trip to Mexico after 3 weeks of sx? Will I be feeling miserable?

Travel after BBL

You should be ok during your trip . Just make sure you release the pressure of your buttocks , by standing every 2 hours and doing a little walk on the plane.

Best wishes 

I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has a slightly different aftercare protocol. I recommend that my patients refrain sitting on their buttocks for long periods of time until 3 weeks post op. At 20 days, as long as you have no complications and are comfortable sitting on your buttocks for 4 hours you should be fine to fly. You may want to consider purchasing a BBL pillow to take the direct pressure off of your buttocks and get up and walk around every 30 mins to hour during the flight. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative restrictions

Ultimately, the only person who should be dictating your postoperative instructions and limitations is the surgeon who performs the procedure.  Only he/she knows your background, your specific case, the surgical maneuvers planned and performed, etc.  While we online consultants aim to help as much as possible, it is not appropriately that we be dictating any aspect of the postoperative care for a patient with whom we are not familiar, nor have even met.

That said, if you are cleared for a flight, make sure that you are very well-hydrated, drinking plenty of fluids, take a few laps around the plane during the flight, and pump your calf muscles every now and then well seated.  These will all decrease the chance of a clot, which is the main risk of flights after surgery.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz