Worse after BA - What can I do to fix this problem? (photo)

A year ago I had breast augmentation done. My result as you can see was not satisfying and even worse than when I started. What are my alternatives? My doctor told me to get a 3D nipple tattoo? Also, what is it that may have happened along the way to cause such a horrible result? Please help, I can't even look in the mirror at them.

Scar results

It is difficult to predict how some people's scars will mature. Some get hypertrophic and spread. That is what it looks like in the photo. A scar revision may help along with silicone sheeting.  Best to review with your surgeon.

Hi-

Sorry your having such a difficult time. It is very hard to give you a reasonable recommendation without examining you, and only seeing one photo to assess your result.  I'm sure your plastic surgeon would be more than happy to work with you in order to achieve a result your looking for. Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Worse after breast revision?

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to explain.

Obviously we all desire reassurance regarding the outcome of surgery but it is difficult to predict the future. I don't quite understand the full extent of your surgery and your pre-existing asymmetry: EVERYONE HAS ASYMMETRY.

So was your revision involving your R breast or your left or both? Was your right lifted or your left lifted? Was a capsulorrhapy performed or a capsulectomy? Did you go bigger or smaller? Saline to Saline or Saline to Silicone or Silicone to Silicone? Textured or Smooth? Round or Anatomic? Was it a change from over to under? There are so many factors playing into the final determination of your shape that it is impossible to predict the final shape of your breasts.

You are providing one photo without the previous photos for comparison which makes it truly difficult to understand the initial condition and whether the treatment rendered was adequate.

My best advice is to follow the recommendations of your surgeon and to allow 6-9 months to elapse to perform a final assessment. More surgery may be required but it is too early to make a final assessment.

Worse after BA - What can I do to fix this problem?

Without seeing your before pictures to know where you started, it is hard to comment on your results. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Scars & Pigment

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm not sure if the overall shape/position of your breasts as well as areola scarring is bothering you. Unfortunately, scars can appear darker or thicker for some people and depending on how you healed you may have loss of pigment in some areas. Tattooing can certainly fill and blend the edges of your areolas. I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for next steps.

All the best

Problem after surgery

Good question. It looks as though you could use a scar revision to your areolas- or even another circle mastopexy to help your circles not be as large as they are now. You have a lot of breast tissue. You could possibly even do a full breast lift (full mastopexy) to help tighten your breasts and also help the size of your circles. Go to a few different consults and see what different surgeons think. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift will create a beautiful breast!

The pictures look like you have persistent sagging and large areola and mild asymmetry after a breast augmentation.  There are many issues here.  The first is an implant alone or combined with a periareolar mastopexy will not adequately "lift" the breast when there is as much sagging as you have.  In order to achieve symmetry and a beautifully shaped breast, you need a full wis pattern mastopexy.  Although the scars of a full wise pattern mastopexy seem daunting, they typically heal well and the breast are beautiful afterwards.  With this type of lift, the breast is brought up onto the top of the chest where you want them, the areola is reduced in size and the shape is made round and aesthetic.  You can achieve the lift with or without an implant.  At this point, you need to decide what size you want the breast to be. If you like the size they are now when you are wearing a bra, then have a lift and leave the implant in place.  If the breast are too large, reduce the size of the implant when you do the lift.  If you are concerned with the nipple- that is an entirely different issue (the answer from your doctor seemed to be random and not directly related to your first comment which implies you do not like the look of the breast following augmentation, or maybe I have misunderstood your concern) Best!

Kimberley Lloyd O'Sullivan, MD
Pawtucket Plastic Surgeon

Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing a photo. Unfortunately one after photo isn't enough to properly assess your results. I recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon or get a second. Discuss different options and concerns so you can achieve the results you are looking for. Best of Luck to you.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for your question. Your pre-operative photos would be helpful. Its unclear if you've had a breast lift, but as you mentioned, your nipples have become stretched out which isn't uncommon after a breast augmentation. Your nipples appear to be sitting below the crease at the bottom of your breast, which usually requires a lift procedure to reposition the nipples. At the time of the lift procedure, your nipples can be made smaller. Not sure about the 3D nipple tattoo recommendation. I recommend consulting with your original plastic surgeon and then get a second opinion from another reputable surgeon. Good luck!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Circumareolar lift

Please be more specific with your questions.  What is horrible: the scars, size of areola, lift, etc? Why do you need a 3D nipple tattoo: you have two nipples in the picture that look healthy and pigmented?  Please send your specific questions and before pictures again for comparison.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon