Can I get feedback regarding my doctor's implant choice for my breast surgery? (Photo)

I currently have 325cc mentor silicone smooth round implants and will be undergoing a revision w/nipple reduction. Initially Was 32A and now prob a large B (from kids). I would like at be a D- I feel they are too small. I am 5'5" and prob 108 lbs? My dr wants to use mentor memory shape tall moderate plus profile for me. Is this ok? Is this the profile I need/do? He is a great surgeon and I don't want to second guess him. I will be doing the 445cc. I also have some capsular contracture

Hard to nail down cup size

I would have to agree with the others here. If you are a B with a 325cc, I'm not sure you will be a D with a 445.

Your best option is to look at the dimensions of your current implant and compare them to the new one to meet a true idea of the increase in width, heights and projection.

Last contacted 9 hours ago

Volume for cup size

It is difficult to nail down the cup size with the various implant volumes. you can do a baggy test to add volume to see what cup size you can become with the bra you want to fill.

Last contacted 7 hours ago

Can I get feedback regarding my doctor's implant choice for my breast surgery?

It looks like you have a nice result right now. Without knowing your breast measurements (width and height) it is hard to say which shaped implant is best. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Last contacted 1 hour ago

May need more cc's

If you are a B-cup size now with 325cc, I am not convinced that you will be a D-cup with 445cc.  I think you need a difference of at least 200cc or more.  The real question is whether your body can accommodate a large breast implant.

Go and see your surgeon.  He is the best source.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Last contacted 4 hours ago

Best implant choice for my breast surgery?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  As you mentioned, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.   Lots to factors to consider...

***Given your concerns and that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.  

Last contacted 2 hours ago