Can I get feedback regarding my doctor's implant choice for my breast surgery? (Photo)

I currently have 325cc mentor silicone smooth round implants and will be undergoing a revision w/nipple reduction. Initially Was 32A and now prob a large B (from kids). I would like at be a D- I feel they are too small. I am 5'5" and prob 108 lbs? My dr wants to use mentor memory shape tall moderate plus profile for me. Is this ok? Is this the profile I need/do? He is a great surgeon and I don't want to second guess him. I will be doing the 445cc. I also have some capsular contracture

About Increasing Implant Size with Capsular Contracture

Yes, it is possible to #increase your implant size with a #revision. However, the #pocket will need adjustment and a lift may be necessary; to better #support the new implant. Additionally, a mesh for further support may be helpful depending on the #implant size and skin #elasticity.

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.

Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.

New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

I suggest beginning with an in-person #evaluation with your original surgeon, or, with a board certified plastic surgeon to confirm if you do, in fact, have capsular contracture  It is best select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hard to nail down cup size

I would have to agree with the others here. If you are a B with a 325cc, I'm not sure you will be a D with a 445.

Your best option is to look at the dimensions of your current implant and compare them to the new one to meet a true idea of the increase in width, heights and projection.

Hard to nail down cup size

Volume for cup size

It is difficult to nail down the cup size with the various implant volumes. you can do a baggy test to add volume to see what cup size you can become with the bra you want to fill.

Volume for cup size

Can I get feedback regarding my doctor's implant choice for my breast surgery?

It looks like you have a nice result right now. Without knowing your breast measurements (width and height) it is hard to say which shaped implant is best. 

May need more cc's

If you are a B-cup size now with 325cc, I am not convinced that you will be a D-cup with 445cc.  I think you need a difference of at least 200cc or more.  The real question is whether your body can accommodate a large breast implant.

Go and see your surgeon.  He is the best source.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

May need more cc's

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Best implant choice for my breast surgery?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  As you mentioned, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.   Lots to factors to consider...

***Given your concerns and that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.