Fat grafts / injections viable to correct craters from overly aggressive liposuction of gynecomastia?

From my research, it seems like fat injections to correct over-liposuctioned fat from the pecs has a high complication rate. Seems like doctors say the the fat becomes hard and looks bad on animation. Is it a viable technique?

Doctor Answers 4

Fat Grafting for Contour Irregularities?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fat grafting is a viable answer for some contour irregularities post liposuction or resection.  However, it is not a magic wand that can correct all irregularities.  The fat needs to be injected in small increments and into healthy tissue in order to get the maximum amount of "take."  This can involve multiple treatments in order to get the best long standing result, and underlying scar tissue can make this process a little more difficult.  The best thing to do is to go for a consultation with board certified plastic surgeons and see what is recommended.  I hope this helps.

Fixing over resected liposuction defects

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
sorry you had issues with your original procedure.Fat grafting to over resected areas can be challenging. There is an underlying scar bed that must be released for the fat to take and the soft tissue to relax. You need to find a surgeon comfortable with fat grafting in revisionary cases. If you do you will be fine.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I do this frequently in my practice (see my IG/facebook posts).  the only way besides chest implants to fix this type of deformity is to use fat grafting and vaser hi def techniques to the chest.  Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Fat grafting for gynecomastia over-resection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Tough call. Over-resection for gynecomastia, whether done by suction alone, by excision, or by a combination, is fairly uncommon.  (It's more common to under-respect.)  Therefore, no one that I know of has a really large experience with fat grafting to correct the problem.  Having said that, I might suggest that you find a surgeon near you that does a lot of facial fat grafting - it's generally a "finer" graft than fat used for, say, buttock grafting.  Using smaller grafts should, in theory, minimize your concerns about hard lumps afterwards.Hope this helps!Rob

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.