Fat grafting. When would be a good time to touch up?

I'm 10 weeks out from full facial fat grafting. I see improvement but feel that I will benefit from more fat, especially there's slight asymmetry (right cheek more hollow than left) How long should I wait? At this point is there still swelling? My skin is positively glowing from the stem cell effect, I am ecstatic as I haven't seen my skin this healthy since my 20s, how long would this stem cell effect last?

Fat transfers retouched

Hi, thanks for your question.  Fat transfer to the face is a safe procedure designed to recontour the face and provide definition to cheeks, chin, lips and lower eyes. The asymmetry in your cheeks (right cheek more hollow than the left one) can benefit from this procedure.  The injected fat will have settled after 3-6 months so your can have another injection by this time.   Any deficits that become visible, can be addressed by then.  Fat grafts contain viable adipose-derived stem cells (ASCs), a large fraction of which survives engraftment. Fat grafting has been demonstrated to improve the quality of skin but it is ultimately unclear whether ASCs are responsible for these effects, but the circumstantial evidence is weighty. Fat grafting is effective for volumizing and improving skin quality.  The observed effects are likely due to ASCs, but it is more of a side rather than a direct effect of ASC-enriched fat grafts.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changes occur after fat grafting for up to one year.

good for you that you underwent after you cash one of the most effective treatments for facial rejuvenation!   10 weeks after your procedure is still fairly early in the healing process, and there's no doubt that you probably have swelling still present. Swelling can take a few months to subside, and ultimate healing can take up to a year as the fat cells settled into their new home. Many of the adipocytes contract down in the months after surgery and go into a  doorman phase the can take up to six months for them to "reawaken".    In our practice, we offer complementary touch up at one year if additional volume is needed to optimize the final results.  Your best bet is to speak to your surgeon to discuss your progress and next steps. Good luck to you !

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to Face, Can You Tell?

You can get more fat after 6 weeks, I would suggest following with prp and sculptra injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Many patients note how there skin looks better and maintains the improvement after fat transfer. Actually whether this is from the additional stem cells that have been placed with the fat or not is still debated but the results are well documented. The answer depends on how the patient is progressing. Usually I prefer to wait 3 to 4 months to let things completely "settle" before doing a touchup as needed. 

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon