Would a fat-graft help my post-op Gynecomastia reduction result? (photos)

I'm about 5-6 years post op gynecomastia reduction. I'm very happy with the result. My doctor performed liposuction due to my young age at the time of surgery and to keep the cost down. Mostly fatty tissue removed. I've noticed when my chest is flexed I can see an indent that is more noticeable based on lighting. Is this something skin excision, a fat graft or just building more muscle would help? I'm just a little curious if it's something that can be helped, I'm still happy with the result.

Fat-graft help my post-op Gynecomastia reduction result?

I would say this: If you are happy with your result then please do not contemplating having further surgery. Each surgery has its own risks which you must accept. Enjoy your weights session in the gym!

How to improve your gynecomastia result

It's quite difficult to consult on this without seeing you in person, but in the first photo, the one that shows the right side only, there appears to be some fullness just inferior and lateral to the nipple. Skin laxity is more difficult to assess. Rather than fat grafting, you might benefit from some more liposuction in this area with or without excision of glandular tissue and loose skin.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Addressing Indentations Years After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Fat grafting

Fat grafting may be helpful because of the interface that has left a scar with animation..................

Fat transfer is not reliable or predictable as we would like

I believe your problem is that the layer of tissue under the chest skin isn't even. This is good news because if your surgeon goes back and makes the layer even then the two sides will look more symmetrical and the "depression" won't be as noticeable. 

Revision gynecomastia

Some contour irregularity is common after liposuction of the chest. You may benefit from a "plus-minus" operation, where some fat is suctioned from the high points and then injected into the low points to even things out a bit. See a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon