What facial procedures (specifically around the jaw and chin) should I consider? (Photos)

I work in fashion and am photographed frequently, but I'm insecure about my lack of a defined jawline. While I'm an appropriate weight, I have what I'd call a "double chin". The lack of definition causes it to appear when I tilt my head even slightly downwards. I also feel that there is no clear distinction between my face and neck, and so my face often disappears into my neck. What would be the most effective procedures that can create a sharper jaw and bring my chin forward. Thanks!

What facial procedures (specifically around the jaw and chin) should I consider?

Hi, based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess facial fat in front and below the cheeks. This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Candidate for chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Chin Augmentation

Your single biggest jawline concern is that of the chin. Chin augmentation combined with submental liposuction would create a clear distinction of the front of the jawline and the neck. It could be done with either a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty. Given the amount of chin projection needed an implant would be a preferred choice. The back of the jaw (jaw angles) can be done to complete the jawline makeover if you want a more complete overall effect.

Procedures to Consider to Improve Jaw and Chin

Procedure I should consider to improve definition of my jaw and chin. You should consider a chin/jowl implant combined with liposuction of the neck to improve chin projection and jaw definition.

illesen1212, you need a chin implant; see a specialist that has years of experience doing "only faces" and you should be fine. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The side photograph demonstrates a weak and recessive chin profile with a small amount of fat located in the neck. Placement of a Silastic chin implant will help bring the chin forward to help with facial balance and proportions.  When there is a small amount of fat present in the neck, liposuction can remove those fatty deposits as long as its above the platysma muscle.