Eyelid surgery - am I a good candidate? (Photo)

I have always disliked my eyes. I think that excessive skin and heavy eyelids make my eyes look tired. Am I a good candidate for eye lid surgery? Is there any other procedure that can alter the shape and make my eyes prettier? Thank you

One can not determine if you are a good candidate for eyelid surgery from a photograph.

One can not determine that you are a good candidate for eyelid surgery from a doorway or across a desk. Your potential surgeon needs to actually speak with you in more detail about your concerns, your goals, your past medical history.  They need to do a detailed consultation including measurements of the eyelids, the effect of neo-synephrine.  Your eyes need to be assessed for dry eye status.  Based on this one makes a decision regarding the recommendation of eyelid surgery.  Based solely on the photo, standard blepharoplasty would be a mistake for you.  You need eyelid structure.  Removing skin only will leave you will a long eyelid with a hollow sulcus.  This will skeletonize the eyes.  You have upper eyelid ptosis, and upper eyelid lash ptosis that shade the top of the eyes and make them look dull.  You also have a compensatory brow elevation.  What you need it s surgery that corrects the ptosis, corrects the upper eyelid lash ptosis, and remove a very small amount of skin.  This will allow the eyebrow to relax.  Please study the accompanying video.

Upper eye bleph

You have some redundant skin on the upper lid which can be removed with a blepharoplasty.  You do not have much fat in the upper lid, so you will have a more hollow appearing lid if you remove the skin.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery - Upper Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your inquiry!

It is a bit difficult based on these photos to tell if you would be a good candidate for an upper blepharoplasty procedure. When assessing if a person is a good candidate for this procedure, it is important to perform a physical examination in order to assess just how much excess skin there really is. During an upper blepharoplasty, the skin that is not necessary for proper eyelid opening and closure is removed.  Based solely on the pictures you provided, I am not convinced you are in need of an upper blepharoplasty just yet. You know it if the right time to undergo surgery when there is enough to gain and the benefits outweigh the risks. Again, an in-person consultation is going to be the best way to determine this.

**Did you know we are *live on Snapchat* every day? We are St Louis' own plastic surgery reality show! Add us (@nosebynayak) to see what goes on behind the scenes. Caution – our daily story is addictive, contains live surgery, and is not for the faint of heart!**

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery - am I a good candidate?

A fractional CO2 laser or Ulthera may give some improvement with skin tightening but an upper eyelid blpeharoplasty would give the best result. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to determine how a blepharoplasty can benefit you. Your excess skin in your upper eyelids indicates you may be a potential candidate for a blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery).

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Greetings from the UK- Simple blepharoplasty

Hi there. Greetings from the UK! I must admit that looking at your photos, your eyelids didn't look that tired and looked pretty good. At most the lid folds on the second picture are slightly crumpled up and messy- so a simple skin only minimal blepharoplasty at most would be suitable and safe. The recovery time would be pretty quick. I'd recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon though as I thought the second picture may show a mild degree of asymmetry of your eyelids with your left upper lid being minimally lower than your right. Similarly your left upper lid seems to have slightly more upper lid show. So you may have the start of some very mild aponeurotic dehiscence going on on your left. A good oculoplastic surgeon would be able counsel you about simultaneously repairing this at the same time. I've got to be honest though, if you had attended my clinic there would have been a pretty high probability of me trying to talk you out of having surgery as overall they looked pretty good on your photos. 

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery candidate

The photographs demonstrate a mild amount of laxity and excess skin in the upper lids. A very conservative  skin only upper blepharoplasty can accomplish rejuvenating the upper lids. No fat removal is necessary. This procedure can be performed under local or general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. Anticipate approximately 10-14 days of visible bruising and swelling. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video  below

Upper blepharoplasty

Thanks for your post. Based on your photos, you do have some redundant upper eyelid skin, which can be removed during upper eyelid blepharoplasty. This alone will have a rejuvenating effect to your periorbital region; however, other additional considerations could be to add a little filler or fat to your brow/upper eyelid area at the same time to prevent any hollowing that may result from the surgery. An in person examination will help to shape the recommendation. Hope this helps!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be careful

I see what you are talking about, from your photos. There appears to be some excess skin in the upper eyelids. You must be careful, however, not to 'hollow out' the eyes and make them look aged!! This requires a really good surgeon and an excellent consultation with someone who knows what they are doing.

Hope this helps. Only go to a board certified plastic surgeon and I recommend someone with at least 10 to 15 years of experience in this area. Remember: the more experienced the surgeon, the better! Best of luck.

Leland Deane MD FACS
New York, NY
Babylon, NY
Garden City, NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon