Do you explant with lift?

I would like to take my implants out and have a lift?

Do you explant with lift?

Thank you for the excellent question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants, number of previous operations, assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.  I would say, in our practice, the majority of patients are able to undergo a single stage breast implant removal and breast lifting operation.

Longer answer: in person consultation will be necessary to provide you with precise advice. The main issue of concern is adequacy of blood flow given the extensive breast surgery planned. In my opinion, if the degree of breast lifting ( distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) is significant, then you may be better off having the procedure performed in 2 stages. If the degree of breast lifting is relatively small ( shorter distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) then it is likely that the procedure can be performed in one stage. If in doubt, in my opinion, the two stage approach is safer.

In "borderline" cases where there is doubt whether breast lifting is necessary or not, I advise patients to undergo explantation only and to give their breasts the benefit of the doubt (allow for about six months to pass after breast implant removal) before deciding whether breast lifting would be beneficial. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Explant/Lift

Yes. That is a common approach when there will be noticeable change with explantation alone. This is an outpatient procedure with fairly minimal post-op discomfort actually.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Do you explant with lift?

A combination implant removal and breast lift can commonly be done at the same time. An in-person consultation is the best way to start. See link below for examples of breast lifts. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS