Is there such a thing as an "ethnic rhinoplasty?" Professional and lay opinions appreciated.

What differentiates an ethnic rhinoplasty from a non-ethnic rhinoplasty? As an African American, what Chicagoland doctors specialize in ethnic rhinoplasties?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Hi, 

Ethnic Rhinoplasty is a specialized form of rhinoplasty that is becoming more and more popular Cosmetic procedure.  African American Rhinoplasty falls under the surgical category of Ethnic rhinoplasty, including Asian rhinoplasty and Hispanic rhinoplasty. 

African American rhinoplasty is unique because the anatomy of a black nose is different than a Caucasian nose:

General Characteristics of an African American Nose :

Wide vertical and horizontal nostril dimensions.
Lower and wider bridge.
Bulbous and fatty tip.

General Desires of African American Patients:

1) Narrowing of the nostrils.
2) Narrowing and elevation of the bridge.
3) Refinement of the tip and reduction of bulbosity.

In order to achieve the desire results open rhinoplasty must be used as well as other surgical maneuvers not typically taught in plastic surgery programs. The reason for this is that in the past, most emphasis was placed on rhinoplasty techniques used in Caucasian rhinoplasty. Now that more African Americans and Hispanics are seeking rhinoplasty, there is a growing interest in learning techniques that will deliver desired results.
When you choose a surgeon make sure they can show many examples of their work, talk to previous patients and request computer imaging. Computer imaging can show you what your results will look like after. 

Dr. S

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. "Ethnic" rhinoplasty only refers to the fact that the patient desires certain features that may be deemed ethnic remain as a feature of their nose after surgery. Surgeons pay particular attention to skin type in regards to its resistance to sun damage, wrinkles and certain recovery features (swelling, scarring, pigmentation) etc. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is there such a thing as an "ethnic rhinoplasty?"

Absolutely. An ethnic rhinoplasty is one that looks good for your ethnic background and heritage. Some people wouldn't look good at all with the cute little turned up nose, and they wouldn't want that anyway. Be sure you relate your expectations to your plastic surgeon and choose one with lots of experience with ethnic rhinoplasties. 

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty: Maintaining Your Ethnic Identity with Results You Desire

Hello:

You ask a very common question of patients that seek rhinoplasty surgery (nose job) that are of African American descent. Often, patients of any ethnicity do not want to erase the signs of their ethnicity, rather they want to enhance their facial features and find a more harmonious balance. Nobody wants to lose their ethnic identity. 

The most common things addressed by my African American patients in regards to their nasal shape are:

• Weak or thin cartilage in the tip of the nose
  • Thick skin on the nose
  • A low nasal bridge
  • Wide nostrils

With over 2 decades of experience in the field of rhinoplasty and a sub-specialty of ethnic rhinoplasty, I use a different set of surgical techniques to achieve a look for that individual patient that maintains their ethnic identity while helping to provide them with the modifications and enhancements they desire. The most important thing you can do on your journey toward finding the right surgeon is to seek out a board certified facial plastic surgeon that specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty. You want to put your nose in the hands of experience and have a unified vision with your surgeon. 

I am going to provide you a link to more information about African American Rhinoplasty and a video that also explains the procedure. I hope you find this information helpful as you move forward. Please feel free to reach out to our office in New York City if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS