What is more effective, water liposuction or regular liposuction?

Liposuction

I always say that is not the wand it is the magician.  I do not think the machine necessarily is any better than any other.

Thank you for the question. The liposuction machine used is irrelevant to the outcome of the procedure. The most important factors in obtaining good surgical outcome is skill of the surgeon and good patient selection.
I recommend that when you are ready consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person evaluation and a discussion of your goals.

Water lipo

There are many different liposuction machines available, and they all get surprisingly similar results. The two most important factors are the surgeon and the indication for the procedure, the exact type of liposuction makes very little difference. Most of the time, fancy liposuction machines are used purely for marketing reasons, as they tend to be more attractive to patients compared to the old tried and tested cannulas.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

The simple answer is that none knows for sure. There are no peer reviewed definitive studies proving that 1 is better then the other. Quality if outcome is determined by how well the liposuction is done, much more so than by the tool (toy) that any given surgeon may use. Talk to your friends and family and find out who has any recommendations and then interview 2-3 different doctors who are qualified and competent to do liposuction. The simple rule is that if a doctor has privileges to do any particular operation at a hospital in your community, that doctor has been able to prove adequate training in that operation. Otherwise, be careful! Good luck.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Water or traditional liposuction?

In general the results of liposuction are more dependent on who is performing the procedure rather than the technique being used. Many of the alternative techniques to traditional tumescent liposuction tend to be more expensive, require more complex equipment, and may be associated with more complications. Again, the person doing the procedure and their experience and comfort level are most important.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Regular Liposuction vs 'Water' Liposuction

Regular liposuction to me means 'tumescent' liposuction - the infusing of the fat with a relatively large volume of dilute local anesthesia prior to liposuctioning. Water liposuction refers to injecting water into the fat while suctioning to presumably loosen up the fat and help to remove it more easily. I have personally tried one of the systems using water and found it to be cumbersome, time consuming and expensive - in short I didn't feel it added to or improved the liposuction process at all. Other surgeons may have a different take on it but that was my opinion. The most important factor in a successful liposuction procedure is a surgeon who is artistic enough and persistent enough to complete the work properly. The technology that is out there plays a minor role at best, in my opinion.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Liposuction type - Does is Make a Difference?

There are many different types of liposuction, but they are all doing the same thing no matter what marketing terminology is beng used ( water, VASER, SmartLipo, etc.).  They all involve putting fluid in to the tissues, using some sort of energy to help break up the fat, and then removing it via suction.  All work well in the hands of a good surgeon with proper patient selection.  More important than they type is who is doing it - you want to go to a board- certified plastic surgeon, not a "cosmetic surgeon" which is usually another type of surgeon masquerading as a plastic surgeon ( dermatologist, gynecologist, general surgeon, etc.).

Skill not machine

Excellent liposuction results are all about the skill of the surgeon, not the type of machine used. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Effective Liposuction

The skill and experience of your surgeon will be the most important factors in your liposuction results.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience and good before and after photos.  Often friends and physicians in your community will be able to refer you to a great plastic surgeon.

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

#PlasticSurgeonMoreImportantThanTechnique

Like many answers you are likely to receive, it is not the instrument but the skill of the surgeon that is most important. See the below link on how to pick an #OutstansingPlasticSurgeonForLiposuction.