Is this discoloration normal for a Breast Augmentation 19 Days Post-OP? (photos)

I am 19 days Post-OP from having a Breast Augmentation. I traveled to Miami and had the procedure. The discoloration is just under my left breast . I noticed it around 5 days post-op and have tried contacting the doctors office. Unfortunately they have not gotten back to me and seeing that I will be 3 weeks post-op in a couple of days I am beginning to worry. Is this normal? Could it be a hematoma?

Discoloration post-op

It is a little difficult to appreciate what it looks like exactly from the photos you posted but it is most likely just some bruising.  Bruises typically start out purple then turn greenish or yellow as they are starting to go away.  Most bruises will go away in about 2 weeks so I would expect yours to be going away.  Most importantly- please contact your surgeon again!  Your surgeon will want to know if you're having any problems or have questions.  When you signed up for surgery the surgeon signed up to be your most trusted source of information and help.  Call them again, maybe your message never made it to the surgeon.  Best wishes!

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Discolouration After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to say without an assessment. I'd recommend continuing to try to contact your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what is causing the discolouration. 

All the best. 

Post op discoloration

It is difficult to tell by the photos but most likely you have some bruising. That being said, you should see your surgeon to make sure it isn't something more serious. Communication with your surgeon is paramount and they should want to see you if you are having concerns. I would call them back and set up an appointment 

Justin B. Maxhimer, MD
Boulder General Surgeon

Discoloration after breast augmentation

The photos you have shared most likely represent some extensive bruising of the skin on one side. It is impossible from these photos alone to rule out a hematoma, but I don't see anything here that makes me urgently concerned. My patients often use topical arnica (my favorite is traumeel) to help with bruising. Arnica can also be taken orally. 

Since this is the underside of your breast the shadowing makes it difficult to see the discoloration well. If it is not fading like a normal bruise it is possible that you could have hemosiderin deposition or post inflammatory hyper pigmentation, which would be treated with topical lightening creams.

It is very important that you continue to contact your doctor's office so that your surgeon can make specific recommendations. Something small now can turn into something bigger down the line- you need to be monitored until this resolves completely.

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Discoloration of the skin

From your photographs, my impression is that this represents a bleed that took place probably a week to 10 days after the initial surgery. At 19 days postoperatively, I would expect more of a yellowish discoloration than a dark purple. Since the breast sizes seem to be about the same, I wouldn't worry about it and let it resolve on its own.My patients take Bromelain which is a pineapple enzyme that makes bruises dissapear more quickly. Certainly follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is this discoloration normal for a Breast Augmentation 19 Days Post-OP?

From you photos alone it appears to be some bruising that is normal. However it is difficult to say without an in person assessment. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Worried about hematoma?

From the photos it looks more like postoperative bruising which would be expected to resolve rather than a hematoma. A clinically significant hematoma is commonly seen with swelling and pain of the affected breast and may also be accompanied by significant discoloration of the overlying skin. Obviously an exam would be required to confirm this diagnosis. This scenario is unfortunately one of the potential drawbacks in traveling away from home for plastic surgery. Hope this helps and your recovery goes smoothly moving forward!

Discoloration

Thank you for the question.     Looking at your photo it looks like bruising,   you may want to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.       Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Discoloration after BA

This is likely just bruising from the surgery which is just now becoming visible at the surface skin. It should resolve with time.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon