What is the difference between Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma? How long does each last?

I want to have permanent augmentation on my checks and lips. also I am interested in threading. can you please shine a light in these issues?

Injectable fillers are temporary solutions to lines, wrinkles and facial volume loss.

Thanks for your question. First, it’s important to note that injectables like JUVÉDERM® and JUVÉDERM Voluma® XC are temporary treatments. They work by injecting hyaluronic acid, which is already naturally occurring in your body, into the designated area. This substance mimics your skin’s collagen to fill in lines and wrinkles and plump the cheeks. While very similar, you may be better suited for JUVÉDERM Voluma® XC, as its thicker formula is designed specifically for use in the mid-face area to add volume.

New York General Surgeon

Juvederm is "softer" than Voluma and doesn't last as long. If you want a permanent lip enhancement, consider lip implants. For cheeks, Bellafill lasts about 5 years. See link below for an example. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Juvederm XC and Voluma

Juvederm XC and Voluma are both temporary hyaluronic acid fillers.  Voluma is a thicker product and therefore gets placed deeper in the face, usually to augment the cheeks.  Juvederm XC is not as thick, so it can be placed  more superficially to fill in the nasolabial folds or plump the lips.  It is best to seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Voluma Results

They are both made by allergan but voluma lasts up to 2 years and needs to be injected more deeply as it has vycross technology and acts more like an implant as compared to juvederm ultra or ultra plus.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm vs Voluma

Both of these fillers consist of hyaluronic acid but Voluma has a larger particle size and is more cross-linked.  Juvederm is used to fill superficial lines and wrinkles and for lip augmentation.  Voluma is a thicker product and is used primarily for cheek augmentation where it is injected deep.  Your doctor can explain the difference to you and choose the product that is right for you.  Make sure to see an experienced physician for your injections. 
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

The different products in the Juvederm family of injectable fillers

Juvederm is a group of hyaluronic acid temporary fillers. They are all made by Allergan.

From the smallest particles to the largest are Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, and Juvederm Voluma. Juvederm Voluma is also crosslinked. Smaller, non-crosslinked are thinner. Bigger and crosslinked are thicker.  

Each product is designed for a particular area of your face. I recommend having a full consultation to determine which products are appropriate for you. Seek out an injector who can explain the benefits of the different products as well as the risks involved for a safe outcome.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is not permanent and usually goes in either the lips of the naso labial folds. Because this area of the face has a lot of muscle movement, it usually beaks down in about 6-12 months. Juvederm Voluma is typically used in the upper face/cheek area and lasts approximately 2 years. These products are made by the same manufacturer, but differ in particle size.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Hello rl132000,

Both products are made by the same company (Allergan) and both products are made of the same material (HA or hyaluronic acid).  The difference between them is how big the particles are that make up the filler and how closely those particles hold hands (called cross linking).  The larger the particle and the stronger the hand holding, the longer they last.  But that also makes them pull in more volume so the thicker products aren't as good for superficial injections or thin skin areas.  I like to use Juvederm for the lips, melolabial folds/nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and if there is some left over for the cheeks.  Juvederm will last about 9-12 months depending on where it was injected (lips tend to go away the fastest).  Voluma is a thick product.  It is best used in the cheeks and can last for up to two years.  Some people will also inject other areas, but I recommend caution because it is so thick if the injection is more superficial it is more prone to lumpiness.  For threading that can either refer to the technique used for injection or for waxing the eyebrows.  For the technique you can discuss this with your injector as there are several techniques used for filler injection.  For waxing the eyebrows you can ask your aesthetician.  

I'd recommend you consult with one of the core aesthetic physician injectors (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, dermatology, and oculoplastic surgery) to learn about which fillers are best for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Similar products

Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma are similar products by Allergan.
Voluma is designed for deep cheek placement.
Regular Juvederm is for wrinkle filling.

Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma is a more "spongy" product that lends itself better to the mid-cheek area and generally lasts twice as long as Juvederm.  Both products are great and I use both for different areas of the face.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green