Deviated Septum, frequent nose bleeds and sinus infections, sleep apnea (Photo)

I always had troubles breathing from my nose one of my nostrils is always closed so I only breathe from one side, its very hard to sleep and when i was a child i had horrible nose bleeds, not to long ago I suffer for very bad nose bleed, I always feel pressure in my sinuses and my breathing drops below normal during sleep and I had this a sleep study done as well. Is this the root of the problem? thank you!

Deviated septum, a good place to start

You have a number of things going on.  Breathing problems through your nose, breathing problems at night (possible sleep apnea), sinusitis problems, and nose bleeds.  A good place to start is straightening the crooked nasal septum.  This will improve the nasal breathing, and may help the other problems.  Sleep apnea needs to be addressed in a comprehensive fashion.  First line of therapy is C-PAP and when that is not successful, then other modalities come into play including dental device application or upper airway surgery such as palate and tongue related surgeries.  Sinusitis is not significantly seen on this x-ray, so I favor simply doing the septoplasty first.  

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

deviated septum, nosebleeds, sleep apnea and sinus infections

It is important to have a thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon.  The  CAT scan shows a deviated septum which can cause nasal obstruction and facial headaches.   A septoplasty can help with breathing issues by straightening the deviated septum.  A CPAP machine  is used for treating sleep apnea.  From the limited views, there does not appear to be any polyps in the sinuses creating chronic sinus problems.  Nosebleeds were cauterized in the office setting.    For more information and diagrams, please see the link and video below

Nasal breathing surgery

Thanks for your question. You will almost certainly benefit a great deal from a nasal airway surgery. It is important to get a detailed assessment of your breathing and anatomy, but this is best performed with a physical exam and perhaps a nasal endoscopy than with sleep studies and CT scans; in my opinion. I would encourage you to find a nasal specialist in your area for a consultation, as you appear to be an excellent candidate for surgical correction. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Obstruction

Looking at your CT scan, it is obvious you struggle to breathe through your nose!  You have a large septal spur and deviation to the left, and the turbinate (normal bony structure that helps filter air) on the right side has grown into the space and is blocking that side too.  If you chose to have surgery on your nose, a septoplasty and turbinate reduction will help open your nose so you can breathe better. Turbulent airflow through the nose can cause nosebleeds and pressure.People who with nasal obstruction have many problems breathing at night, but even if your nasal breathing is corrected, you have still have obstruction at other levels causing your oxygen level to drop at night.  Big tonsils, big base of tongue, extra weight and thickness in the neck and several other things can also cause sleep apnea.  It is best to have a full exam by an ENT to get a picture of what can be done to help you get relief

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon