Deposit during the consult?

The day I visit for the consult and agreed upon the price, the doctor requested a deposit and scheduled my procedure for Liposuction in the abdominal area, flanks, bra area and arms. I ask for a prep package and he stated I did not need one. When searching online there were many tips available to avoid complications during surgery. I agreed to go under general anesthesia and I am afraid I choose the wrong doctor. Is this normal? No test , I wasn't even weighted! Please advise what should I do?

More consultations.

I suggest you have additional consultations with a few plastic surgeons. To reserve a date and time, a deposit is required by most offices. It sounds like you're uneasy about the preoperative preparation of the surgeon you chose and you should make them aware of your feelings. Deposits may or may not be returned, but many surgeons will return a deposit if a medical condition keeps you from having surgery. Speak with your regular doctor about your overall health and review your plastic surgeon's policies. Best, Dr. ALDO

Consultation

Ask for a second consultation. Find out if he is a board certified plastic surgeon. You should obtain the information you want to be comfortable, if not go somewhere else.

Need more information

I would schedule a 2nd consultation to review your photographs and the operative plan.  You should also inquire about board certification of the surgeon, anesthesia personnel and accreditation of the surgical facility.  If you feel something is amiss, I would cancel the surgery and demand your money back!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - do I have the right surgeon?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• If you are young and healthy, many surgeons will not require tests before surgery - studies show them to be pointless.
  • To know if you have a good surgeon. first is s/he Board Certified in plastic surgery?
  • Next - is your surgery to be done in an Accredited Outpatient Surgery Center?
  • And finally, is an anesthesiologist - an MD supervising your anesthesia - present at the facility while you are.
  • If the answers to all of this are yes, you are probably in good hands.
  • There is a lot of information on-line that is misleading, like the need to take supplements and vitamins before surgery or to have extensive testing. 
  • It is unusual to not weigh a liposuction patient but it is not necessary - and some patients hate to be weighed.
  • It can be considerate to not subject a patient to being weighed as long as she understands that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
  • So contact your surgeon's office and speak to him again and ask him to explain to you his approach.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Knowing What's Normal with Liposuction--VASER, ThermiRF, ultrasound

I can't speak to that particular Dr's practices and policies. I recommend following up with them about your concerns. Regarding the procedures you mentions, I recommend a hi-definition procedure for best results. I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. I suggest a consult with a hi-def physique liposuction expert. Best, Dr. Emer

You have the right!

Hello!  I cannot speak for other practices and their policies, however, you have the right to feel comfortable and to have all your questions answered. I suggest contacting the office and asking your questions. you should feel excitement and feel secured in your procedures and with your surgeon. Trust your instincts. Good luck!

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Deposit during the consult?

I don't know what other offices do but I can't imagine not doing a physical exam, which includes a weight, during the consultation. We are required to give you a thorough  consultation outlining all the risks associated with the surgery, but maybe that was done verbally instead of in writing at your surgeon's office. In our office, patients get a lot of written information as well to take home and read at their leisure. It is common to require a deposit in order to schedule a procedure, and you should have been given a written copy of the office policy on refunds.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Deposit during the consult?

Thank you for sharing your question and experience.  The relationship you build with your surgeon is an important one and you should feel comfortable with that physician before moving forward with any elective procedure.  I would reach out to their office and voice your concerns, most surgeons do have a packet regarding preoperative instructions and postoperative care that should help you answer common questions.  If they do not, or your hesitations continue, seek a second consult

Deposit return

It is irregular not to provide a patient with preoperative information including cancellation/financial policies, instructions, prescriptions for pretesting, and the like.  A financial policy would state the terms on which a deposit could be refunded to you.  Good luck!